I Had Smartlipo and the Fat Wasn't Suctioned Out!

Hi, I had smartlipo done 10 days ago and I am kicking myself now because i didnt do proper research before and chose a doctor based on availability and price more than for his experience and knowledge.Im now extremely concerned because everywhere im reading that after the fat is liquified it should be sucked out but he did not.How concerned should i be becuase i am freaking out? He also burned my skin in one area. I am still very swollen and actually larger than i was :-(

Should Fat be Suctioned Out during SmartLipo?

+2

Well, certainly there are some doctors that do not perform liposuction as a routine part of SmartLipo. In approving SmartLipo for use in the general public here in the U.S., actual liposuction following laser lipolysis with SmartLipo (the ORIGINAL and MOST HIGHLY TESTED laser lipolysis device) was not mandated by the FDA.  HOWEVER, I ALWAYS AND ROUTINELY INCLUDE LIPOSUCTION as a standard component of EVERY SmartLipo session!  I feel it is imperative to achieving the smoothest and most symmetrical results, and affords the most comprehensive treatment!  Ladies, I encourage you to DO YOUR HOMEWORK, ask questions and make sure you are absolutely comfortable with your surgeon.

I am a female and mother of 3 children.  I empathize with any woman who has dealt with challenges of losing or maintaining weight, whether they have had children or not!  Anyone investing in such a service and investing in bettering themselves deserves the surgeon's BEST EFFORT, and I strongly feel inclusion of liposuction with SmartLipo should be a "no brainer"!

Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

In most cases the specialists I know do laser and suction.

+1

follow up with you doctor to see what her/she suggest.  If you are not satisfied with the answers, seek a second opinion form an expert who does hundreds of cases of SmartLipo and know how to solve problems.

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Smartlipo generally done with suctioning

+1

Initially when Smartlipo first came out, a few surgeons opted to do it without suctioning. Most found this not to yield optimal results. There are some rare exceptions.

We usually perform Smartlipo, and then suction the fat,. Following this we often then again finish with the Smartlipo  to provide an extra measure of skin tightening   

You will probably see some tightening results over the next 4-5 months, but as with many other procedures out there - if you don't actually remove the fat - it is still there.  

Christopher J. Peers, MD
South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon