Smartlipo Dr is Certified?

yesterday i had consult for smartlipo-outer thigh and under butt. scheduled for 2 weeks from now. Dr they assigned me to specializes in thigh/butt area. The reason I chose this group- was at gyneco apt & asked him if I was crazy for wanting smartlipo & his thoughts. said he liked it enough to get it done himself and told me where to go.I just called to find out if board certified plastic surgeon. She is not. she has been Certified in Smartlipo. Your thoughts?

Certification in liposuction

+2

Hi Mariej, The first clue is that you were assigned to a doctor. By whom? And this person specializes in the thigh and butt?! So this person's training is limited to the thigh and butt; isn't that enough cause for concern? If the doctor liked it enough to get it done than why hasn't he or she done so? Any one who uses Smart Lipo typically, (but not always), should have done some certification training on this but this is only to cover the basics of the device. I am amazed by the outright lies that some practices are telling the public. They say that they do Smart Lipo and they don't have the device. They have the device and say they use it but it is not done to the parameters that the technique requires. There are a lot of unqualified doctors getting into the practice of cosmetic surgery, especially body contouring, because it seems pretty straightforward. It is not and there are big differences in outcomes based on the experience of the provider!So these are questions that I would ask:  What board certification does the doctor have? How much experience in liposuction does the doctor have? Is this her practice or is she an employee in a chop-lipo shop? Is she a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery? Is she in good standing at a local hospital and does she have admitting privileges there for this procedure? Is there any complaints about her in the state medical boards. Did you see the doctor and did she diagnose and prescribe treatment? Did you see her results? Is the facility an accredited ambulatory surgery facility? How long has she been in practice? What are the complications and what happens in the event you have one? Is the Smart Lipo device she uses the most recent Triplex device? You're antennae are up for good reason. But at least you have done your homework and did some vetting. I think that you would be wise to look for a board certified plastic surgeon who has experience in all of types of liposuction and has good reviews and the proper credentials. It is the Indian and not the arrow. Best of luck and don't feel pressured. It is your money and your body!!!

Smartlipo Certification

+2

Even if you specifically want Smartlipo you should be looking for a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.  The only certification that matters to ensure the proper qualifications when looking into any type of liposuction (traditional, laser, smartlipo, coollipo, ticklelipo, ANYLIPO....) is if they are certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  

Smartlipo is brand for one of the laser liposuction devices and the company "certifies" people who buy the machine from them.  So basically, any doctor (including many gynecologists, emergency room doctors, generalists, etc) who buy the over $100,000 device from the company get a few hours of training from that company and are now smartlipo certified.   

It's not the device that matters, it's the surgeon handling the device and using it on your body. 

Adam Hamawy, MD
Princeton Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo Dr is Certified?

+2

Your concerns are very insightful. I would like to try and make you understand the term certified. SmartLipo certification is a recent purchaser ("doc") being shown HOW to use the machine over a few hours and cases. This DOES NOT mean the "doc" is a PLASTIC SURGEON that is board certified in plastic survey. Thus any licensed doc can purchase the machine and get "certified". But as to having expertise in liposuction surgery that is the true question. Another issue is the exact SmartLipo unit the "doc" owns. Is it an older less powerful, less # of wavelength unit or the top of the line TRIPLEX unit? Finally, being referred intra office of GYN's looks very self-serving. I recommend you find a boarded PS doing SmartLipo see them than decide. 

Smart lipo and certified?

+2

If the doctor is not a certified palstic surgeon and only certified using the machine it could be an internist? or any other "lay-doctor."  Be careful who you go to. 

What Does Certified In Smartlipo Mean?

+2

There is no such thing as being board-certified/certified in Smartlipo. Smartlipo is a liposuction device whose 'certification' depends on whether the doctor has a credit card to buy the machine. Once you buy the machine the company will provide 'training' to you. (aka certification) That may be enough qualifications for some patients. But if you are interested in looking for a higher level of qualification, first look for a doctor whose specialty training and board certification is in a medical specialty which provides the basic education and training in liposuction surgery. Thereafter, evaluate the doctor's experience in liposuction in general and Smartlipo in particular. There is a difference between owning a machine and have the skills and experience to use it both safely and get consistently good results.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Lipo

+2

Many specialties are cashing in on Smart-Lipo. You really don't need all of the qualifications that plastic surgeons have to learn the procedure. The company sends people for  training. You have feel comfortable with your choice.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Proper certification for Doctors performing Liposuction including Smart Lipo

+1

Any patient seeking liposuction, whether it be Smart lipo, Vaser lipo, liposculpting, etc., should check to see that their surgeon is certified to preform the procedure. First, you should ask if your surgeon is certified by the American Board of Medical Specialities (ABMS) and specifically by which specialty - Plastic Surgery, ENT, Dermatology, etc.  If your surgeon is using a specific type of equipment -Smart lipo (laser), Vaser lipo (ultrasound), etc - you should also ask if they have been certified to use that specific equipment.  If the surgeon is not certified I would suggest to seek out another surgeon who is certified.  Best wishes.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo certification

+1

You have raised an excellent point.  SmartLipo "certification" only means that the doctor obtained some training and observed some cases, which alone is not nearly enough to qualify the doctor to do SmartLipo.  SmartLipo is surgery, which should be performed by doctors with extensive experience with liposuction, and have completed a surgical residency, such as a board certified  plastic surgeon.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo certification is highly advised.

+1

If the surgeon is certified in SmartLipo has excellent experience as a competent surgeon, great bedside manner and exceptional results to demonstrate to you, then you should be in good hands.

Windell C. Davis-Boutte, MD
Atlanta Dermatologic Surgeon

SmartLipo by Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thanks for posting that question!  For any type of liposuction, you should only seek someone with Board Certification in Plastic Surgery.  This will ensure the best possible chance that you will receive the best care and results.  Kudos to you for recognizing the difference!

Brian Howard, MD
Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon