Smartlipo and a Police Gun Belt - Will the Belt Create Negative Results?

I will be having Smartlipo on my abdomen (upper and lower) as well as flanks.  I am a police officer and must wear a gun belt.  I plan on taking a week off from work and having another week of light duty (inside assignment with no belt).  Any fellow cops out there who have had this done and can give me some advice?  

SmartLipo and Wearing Gun Belt

+2

You should be fine at three weeks post-op. I do encourage you to be religious about wearing your surgical garment. I've worked on several law enforcement officers and haven't heard from them they had any issues with belts. Good Luck!

Wearing Gunbelt after Smartlipo

+2

Wearing a gun belt a few weeks after your abdominal Smartlipo procedure should be a cause for any long-term concern.You may find that wearing a compression underneath where the gunbelt will be (such as a Gelzone wrap) will be more comfortable and prevent any indentations from the gunbelt until you are fully healed.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

+2

A snugly fitting compression garment can help to some degree to prevent indentations from a belt.   This will require a great deal of surveillance on your part and on the part of your surgeon.   Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Compression garment to protect

+1

Wearing the gun belt should be fine after you are healed. You may want to wear the compression garment longer under the gun belt to protect your skin.

Bruce E. Katz, MD

Wearing A Belt After SmartLipo

+1

SmartLipo is similar to any other type of liposuction in that post-op compression therapy is crucial for best results.  The areas treated will swell due to the trauma and even compression afterwards with the use of a compression garment will aid in obtaining smooth results.  A poor fitting garment or unusual compression caused by other devices such as a gun belt could cause some uneven healing.  Make sure that the belt does not compress the areas treated or at least shift it's position frequently to avoid excess pressure in one area for too long.  The compression garment should be worn for several weeks until all swelling has subsided.

Martin O'Toole, MD