When Can I Have SmartLipo After Accutane?

I stopped accutane 1 week ago and i really want to have samrtlipo done, can i?

SmartLipo after Accutane

+1

After you are completely off the Accutane for a minimum of 12 months. The complication of Accutane + incisions are SCARS!!!! Very scary.

From MIAMI DR. B

I would wait 1 year before it or you will have scarring that is not good.

+1

This is an elective procedure and it is a great one, but don't sacrifice the possibility of a poor outcome for a quicker fix.  It is clear that any elective scars after accutane usage are not a good idea.  This is exactly that scenario. 

For this reason, you may have a very unsightly scar where the cannula (instrument) enters the skin or where the laser is done!  It isn't worth the problems and potential devastating results.  No one can tell you it won't cause it, but many years of experience have shown that it can cause real problems, so don't risk it and wait the appropriate amount of time.

Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Smart lipo and accutane

+1

the possible association between accutane and scarring was with carbon dioxide laser resurfacing. Some doctors wait six and others, twelve, months after Accutane before resurfacing the skin.  Whether this concern can be extrapolated to laser-assisted liposuction is not proven.

Ronald Shelton, MD

It is safest to wait

+1

The actual concern for poor healing or excess scarring after accutane is still an uncertain area in wound healing.   There have been limited reports of patients not healing well after accutane therapy and thus most surgeons will recommend waiting for a period of 6 months before doing an elective cosmetic procedure.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon