Can Smart Lipo Be Carried Out After a Tummy Tuck and Mesh Hernia Repair?

I had a tummy tuck and incisional hernia repair in 2003 after losing 130 pounds from weight loss surgery in 2002. I regained about 30 pounds and have maintained my weight for the last 6 years. My weight gain is in my upper abdomen above my belly button, I have virtually no waist. Can Smartlipo be done on this area and would it help?

Liposuction after tummy tuck...

+2

Yes it is possible to perform smart lipo after having a tummy tuck and a hernia repair.  That doesn't however mean you are a candidate.  You may need a CT scan of the upper abdomen to ensure your mesh repair is still in good shape.  You should schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an exam, and to find out your best options.  If it turns out to be just fat, then Smartlipo is a great tool to liposuction areas that have already been treated.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction after tummy tuck

+2

liposuction can be performed after tummy tuck or abdominoplasty in Los Angeles to help maintain shape and form. When considering liposuction after abdominal hernia repair you should be careful to choose a Board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in both hernia repair and liposuction.

S. Sean Younai, MD, FACS

Liposuction or Smart liposuction after a tummy tuck

+2

Obviously weight control is better than surgery, and you should carefully examine what it is that is causing your troubles.

You can certainly do liposuction on additional areas.

However, liposuction will not combat fat inside the abdomen, which contributes to a wide waist.  So weight control is a must or you will end up with a square waist and lumpy cellulite-ridden skin from too much liposuction.

Your board certified plastic surgeon can guide you what fat is accessible and what fat is not.

I don't see any advantage for using the Smart Lipo, unless you want to increase your risk for a burn.

Brent Moelleken, MD

Smart liposuction after abdominoplasty

+1

It is possible to have smart liposuction (laser assisted liposuction) or Vaser liposuction (ultrasound assisted liposuction) following abdominoplasty and mesh hernia repair.  One would need to know your particular situation and do a thorough physical exam.  The risks may be somewhat higher than someone who has not had the previous procedures.  

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

+1

The issue is if the upper abdominal fat is extra or above the repair mesh or has the repair failed. I recommend a scan to see if the fat is visceral or extra abdominal. If it is above the repair than a very very experienced Smart Lipo surgeon could preform the operation. I, personally, offer ALL the types of liposuction in my practice. I do prefer the Smart Lipo TRIPLEX 40 watt unit, because after 100's of cases I KNOW it works. 

Liposuction after tummy tuck

+1

There are really two questions here, one being whether liposuction can be safely done, to which the answer is likely yes but this is something to discuss with your surgeon. The other question is whether smart lipo is preferred. The use of laser, whether the smart lipo brand or another, is a matter of opinion and the vast majority of plastic surgeons do not beleive the use of laser with lipo is useful but it does carry some additional risk.

Richard Baxter, MD