Is Smartlipo for Me? I'm 19 Years Old with a BMI of 35.

I went for a consultation today and they told me that smartlipo would work for me since I'm so young and my skin can "bounce back", but after reading about the side effects I'm not sure if it's right for me. What can i expect after the procedure, having such a high BMI (bumps, uneven areas, extreme swelling, long recovery time, etc.? Thank You

Liposuction and high BMI

+1

Liposuction is not an alternative to diet and exercise. I would suggest losing weight to get to a lower BMI and then get re-evaluated.

+1

You ask an interesting question. You forgot to post a photo, so I must assume you are moderately heavy. Without seeing you my guess is either a combo of Triplex Smart Lipo + Lipo or Body Jet Lipo. Best of luck from MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski

Liposuction is not appropriate for obesity

+1

Liposuction is not a replacement for exercise or diet. If you haven't had your thryoid checked, then you should. If that is normal, then you should be exercising more and watching your calories. See a nutritionist that can act as a coach for you on followup appointments. You need to change your ways now to prolong your life and make it more healthy. Liposuction wouldn't address the future urges and you may readily regain much weight. Liposuction is a realtively safe procedure but risks increase when patients are not in the best of health or overweight.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Liposuction is best for patients at or very near their ideal weight!

+1

Your question and situation is surprisingly common. I can only make some general comments but liposuction of any type should really be reserved for those that are at or near their ideal weight. At age 19 and with a BMI of 35 you are overweight and your long term health is at risk. You may not have found the right nutritional and exercise regime to reduce your weight but this is still where you should be putting your efforts. It will not be easy but you will improve your health and feel more successful when you get there. SmartLipo is a great solution for localized areas that remain after you have lost the weight and have maintained your new healthier lifestyle.

Using liposuction, SmartLipo or any cosmetic surgery as a "jump-start" to an improved lifestyle is often not successful. It is a fallacy that liposuction will protect you from re-accumulating excess fat in the treated areas. SmartLipo is wonderful technology but it is not magical and must still be considered surgery. Therefore, this should only be considered in patients with optimal health and only delivered by Board Certified Surgical Specialists. There is nothing wrong with having more than one consultation with an experienced Plastic Surgeon while you are considering your options. I suspect that you may find a more conservative and practical recommendation.

Dr. Mosher

Mathew C. Mosher, MD
Vancouver Plastic Surgeon

Smart lipo with high BMI

+1

You have a weight problem that you need to get under control before you do any type of liposuctioning.  You need to learn why you are overweight and what you can do about it. Any money that you anticipate paying for liposuctioning should go toward learning about weight and losing weight. You are young and need to start developing habits that you can use over your lifetime to control your weight.

Doing lipo at this point is a waste of your money. Without fundamental changes in your behavior you will gain the fat back.

Best of luck

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon