Smartdot Lazer and Erbium Lazer Are They the Same Lazers?

I am thinking of having smart dot laser can you tell me if this will be the same as erbium laser. I have fair skin and wrinkles above my lips and around the eye area I want to improve. I want to no if this is done more aggressive what that entails and would I need more than I week from public. And how bad I will look, I have seen a couple of videos on this site of a full face were it is co2 laser but no mention to how deep there treatment was. Also can I get colour change in the aggressive area?

Laser Surgery Options

+1

Thank you for your question. There are similar treatments that help with lines and wrinkles around the eyes and lip area. The most critical part of the treatment is how comfortable the provider is in determining the depth and strength for the specific skin type. I hope this helps.

Bay Area Dermatologist

SmartXide DOT laser

+1

The SmartXide DOT is a fractional ablative CO2 laser and that can penetrate more deeply than the erbium laser.  Treatment can be individualized and it is very safe in experienced hands.  Count on 5 to 6 days of downtime.  Afterwards, your skin will be red for about 2 weeks but makeup can be applied after day 6.  You must use sun protection.  Please consult a board certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon who has experience with these lasers.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

For a fractional laser forget about CO2. Go with an Erbium beam for precise ablation, quick recovery and dramatic results!

+1

I would strongly suggest you avoid CO2 lasers.  They created large zones of heat induced coagulative damag and thus result in long recovery and prolonged redness.  Erbium beams can cause ablation so fast that there is no measurable coagulative heat damage, this means less redness and recovery.  A fractional CO2 laser like fraxel or DEKA's SMARTXide have never made sense to me.  If you fractionate the beam you still get widespread coagulative damage of the entire treated area thus there is really no advantage to the fractionated beam.  I use only Erbium lasers for deep resurfacing.  The Profractional XC laser by Sciton is the world leader.  It allows me to adjust exact treated depth and percentage of surface treated so I can deliver a three day recovery or a one week recovery depending on patient needs and expectations.  Fractionated beams that cannot separate coagulative and ablative energy are marketing ploys in my opinion.  I have never treated a patient with Fraxel or DEKA SmartXide( I have used both) with significant energy that wasnt red and swollen for weeks.  Sure you can turn down the energy and get quicker recovery, but a tthe sacrifice of results.  If you want fractional laser results, look beyond CO2.  I hope this helps,

Rian A. Maercks M.D.

Rian A. Maercks, MD

SmartXide DOT and Erbium Lasers

+1

The SmartXide DOT and Erbium lasers are not the same.  The SmartXide DOT is a CO2 fractional resurfacing laser, manufactured by DEKA,  that has an excellent track record.  It is a very versatile system that can be customized to each individual (in terms of how much downtime they have, etc.).  The Erbium laser is a different beam of light that can be effective at resurfacing as well.  My advice is to seek out a board-certified dermatologist who is proficient with lasers to help you choose a treatment that is right for your particular skin.

Deborah Sarnoff, MD