Smart Lipo Good for Saggy Arms?

I've been thinking of getting Smart Lipo on my arms. I had gastric bypass two years ago and was told this would get rid of my "wings". Is this true?

Sorry, but Smart Lipo won't do it!

+2

Post-bariatric surgery arms that are loose need a removal of skin to look ideal. That involves a substantial scar, but it can create an amazing result.

No form of liposuction, even the so-called "Smart" Lipo procedure, can create the amount of tightening that you're likely to need.

In fact, Smart Lipo has not yet been shown in any published article in a peer-reviewed medical journal to create substantial skin tightening. It is a shame that purchasers of that device continue to confuse patients by promulgating such unsubstantiated claims.

Arm lift better

+1
Unfortunately, any form of liposuction will probably not tighten loose skin as much as the patient would like. You may want to consider an arm lift instead. This is designed to remove excess fat and tighten the skin to give you a leaner contour. However, you will have more scarring.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Depends on the laxity of the tissue

+1

Most patient that had gastric bypass need to have arm lift. laserlipo is a not a good option for the thin and sagging skin. please have a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon. Make sure your surgeon offers both laserlipo and arm lift.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo will not replace skin excision after massive weight loss

+1

It is hard to give you a specific answer without reviewing pictures. In general, the excess skin following gastric bypass is better treated with arm lift. Smart Lipo or any other types of liposuction will not give a similar result to skin excision.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS