Risks With Having Liposuction If Eventually I Want to Have Children?

I am 20 years old and in good health. I've been the same steady weight for a while now (145 lbs, 5'6) and I have never been overweight. My stomach is the only part of my body that I have ever had a problem with. It always seemed to be a good deal larger than other parts.

My question is, is it advisable to have lipo if you ever want to become pregnant? How does pregnancy affect a liposuctioned stomach say 10 to 15 years after the surgery? Thank you for your help!

Liposuction can be done prior to pregnancy

+2

As long as you are not trying to conceive and are not possibly pregnant during the liposuction procedure, you can have liposuction to reduce the depots of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise.  Those fat cells that are removed will not easily return during pregnancy.  What women shouldn't do before pregnancy is have an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) because the results can get ruined by the stretching of the pregnanct abdomen.

Liposuction - Will It Affect a Future Pregnancy?

+2

Hi Lucy08 in Seattle, WA,

I am unaware of any negative implications of liposuction on pregnancies in the future.  I've had many patients who have become pregnant after lipo and I don't know of a single problem among them - nor do I know of any problems in published literature. 

It's likely that there may be some scar tissue as a result of the lipo and that it might feel unusually tight as your abdomen is expanding (particularly if you could compare it to a pre-lipo pregnancy) but the baby will win out (they always do!) and your abdomen will stretch out without problems.  I don't know of any reason why lipo should be a problem for future pregnancies.

Two short anecdotes:

One patient who became pregnant after a lipo of her stomach, hips and thighs told me that every other part of her got huge (like her chest) before there was even the slightest bulge in her tummy, and

Another patient had to delay her 2 month followup appointment....because she was pregnant.  She actually emailed me her sono instead, labelling it "2 Month Photo."

You look like a good candidate for the procedure if it's otherwise appropriate based on your medical health (if there are any problems there) so you can discuss this with a surgeon who can see you in person without having to worry about the pregnancy issue.

I hope that this helps, and good luck,

Dr. E

Alan M. Engler, MD, FACS

Lipo before pregnancy?

+1
Liposuction is fine before pregnancy. It's always possible that you can develop loose skin or stretch marks with pregnancy but most women do just fine. I'd say you would enjoy the results for years after having liposuction and the improvement in your abdomen should be good baised on what I can see in your photos. Good luck! Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Liposuction and pregnancy

+1

From the pictures you provided it appears you are an excellent candidate for lipsuction.  There is no reason this procedure would make pregnancy difficult later in life or cause complications.  This is a very personal decision and if this has always been a concern for you I recommend getting a consult. I hope this helps you.

Kindest regards,

Neil J. Zemmel

Neil J. Zemmel, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

?? Liposuction and Pregnancy

+1

Liposcution is performed to "shape" those regions of your body that you can't improve with diet and exercise.  You can certainly have liposuction performed prior to becoming pregnant.  On the other hand it is not recommended to have an abdominoplasty performed if you plan to have more children.

Craig Mezrow, MS, MD
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction before pregnancy

+1

There is no issue if you have liposuction and then become pregnant in the future.  If you are a good candidate for liposuction and want to have the procedure, then you should go ahead and have it.  If you were asking about an abdominoplasty or tummy tuck and planning on a pregnancy in the near future, then the answer would be different.

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD

Liposuction and pregnancy

+1

I agree with all of the other posters that you are an excellent candidate for abdominal liposuction.  It will have no future bearing on pregnancy.  Of course, no one can predict what may happen to your abdomen after pregnancy--it may cause skin laxity and muscle laxity but liposuction now will not be the cause. 

Jeffrey E. Kyllo, MD

Liposuction and pregnancy

+1

Liposuction should have no direct impact on future pregnancy, and I have performed a lot of liposuction on women who did not have children and then went on to successfully child bear.

Liposuction will not affect future pregnancies

+1

Liposuction on your abdomen or your hip for that matter will not have any affect on future pregnancy. You will gain and lose weight with pregnancy just as others, and during weight gain (with care!) excess calories will be directed to remaining fat cells for storage. As you lose any baby fat after, your good results will return. Hope you don't wait 15 years for children.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

Very personal decision but I see no reason not to have lipo on your abdomen. It will not be an issue with future pregnancies. Go do it!