Still Swollen 4 Days After Smart Lipo, is that Normal?

I had Smart Lipo 4 days ago and Im still swollen. Is that normal. Also which compression garment ismost comfortable. I am still wearing the band and it makes my back hurt really bad:-( 

Swelling after SmartLipo

+1

Swelling after SmartLipo can last for months.  Following treatment of the abdomen, for example, swelling will probably be at its maximum two to three days out and slowly diminish over the ensuing four to six months.  By the time patients return for their post-operative visit two weeks later, measurements are significantly reduced, but not at minimized as they will be three months out. I have my patients undergo lymphatic drainage treatments performed by our massage therapist, who has specialized training, in order to speed up the recovery process.  I tell my patients that after treatment, the hardest thing is to be patient! 

Regarding the garment, I prefer a high-waisted panty girdle rather than a velcro binder.  They are more flexible, therefore fit better and crease less.

Wilmette Plastic Surgeon

Swelling

+1

I am amazes that your doctor didn't tell you that swelling lasts weeks and some residual swelling for monts until the final result. Ask you doctor for garment choices.

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Swelling after liposuction

+1

Only four days out from liposuction and concerned about swelling?  It will take several months for the swelling to go down completely.

Swelling after SmartLipo

+1

swelling after smartlipo is very common. it can take upto 4-6 weeks to completely subside.

Misbah Khan, MD

Average Time for Lipo Swelling to Subside is 16 Days

+1

Thanks for your question.

Although some patients will see swelling subside after only four days, this is unusual, and only happens in cases with very minor fat removal.  In fact, in an audit we compiled for 129 lipo patients, we found that the average time for swelling to subside is 16 days, and that a significant number of patients still had swelling after 40 days.

In conclusion, the total amount of time needed will depend on the amount of trauma, and the individual body's ability to repair. 

Alexandra Chambers, MD
London Dermatologist