Is Smart Lipo Recommended for Weight Loss Patient?

I am an active and fit 34 year old mum of 2. 20 years ago I lost 90lbs and except for my two pregnancies - I have managed through diet and exercise to keep this weight off. I am 5'8" tall and weigh 140lbs. I feel my problem areas are my inner thigh, abdomen, flanks and buttocks.

I understand a Tummy Tuck combined with Smart Lipo would provide the best result but I am more afraid of the significant scarring associated with a Tummy Tuck than I am the prospect of living with my stretch marks. Advice please? Thank You!

Weight loss pt and Smart lipo/ liposuction not a good alternative

+1

The stubborn fat that you describe is common.  The most important factor in assessing a candidate for Liposuction irrespective of whether it is traditional liposuction, liposculpture or smart Lipo is the quality of the skin.  If skin quality is not good, then removing fat will leave skin flabby and unattractive.  In weight loss patients, the skin quality is usually not amenable to liposuction. However, if the skin quality is good, and the fat is minimal, then smart Lipo may be an alternative to traditional liposuction.  In the end, the most important thing is that you achieve the result that you have always wanted. The right procedure to achieve this result is a combination of a proper physical examination, good communication and an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

Liposuction Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your significant/ successful weight loss.

Based on your description,  I am concerned that you will not be a good candidate for liposuction surgery.
“Ideal” liposuction patient candidates present with isolated diet and exercise resistant adipose tissue collection,  with overlying skin that demonstrates adequate elasticity ( to “bounce back” after the adipose tissue has been removed).

Furthermore, good skin elasticity is an important  attribute  of the patient undergoing liposuction surgery. As we age we generally  lose some skin elasticity. After the liposuction procedure we are depending on the skin elasticity to allow the skin envelope to “shrink” to fit the reduced contour resulting from the liposuction procedure. 

I would suggest in-person consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Be concerned about any kind of liposuction

+1

You have exess skin and minimal extra fat, Liposuction (laser lipo, vaser lipo, cool lipo or any other lipo) will remove the extra fat and some degree of skin tightening based on the kind of lipo. Liposuction will have minimal sucess and may make it worse. You will some skin skin removal and lift.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo for weight loss patient

+1

It is a personal decision you should make with the operating surgeon. Yes, your enclosed photo helps but an in person evaluation is the best way to evaluate you and your issues. I would do a mini tummy tuck + Smart Lipo as my options.