Smart Lipo or Tummy Tuck? (photo)

Hello To All! I LOVE this site! I'm a mom of three beautiful kids! Their ages are 4 1/2, 3, and 10 months. I exercise at least 4 times a week sometimes more and I eat healthy. My body is pretty tone, but my stomach looks like I'm two months pregnant...lol. I would like to get some kind of procedure done to my stomach. I don't if I should get smart lipo, a mini tummy tuck, or a tummy tuck .Here's a picture. I need some opinions. TIA!

Be smart, DON'T do smart lipo, DO tummy tuck

+3

You would definitely benefit from an abdominoplasty.  This procedure will excise excess skin and fat and tighten your underlying strength layer called fascia.  Women who have had multiple pregnancies, such as yourself, have damaged the fascia layer.  At the same time, mesh can be placed to reinforce the fascia repair.  This is a proven technique that is effective in reducing weight and maintaining the reduced weight.  Smart Lipo is a marketing term used to mislead people into believing that it will actually change their skin tone.  Smart Lipo is no better than regular lipo and it simply would not solve your problem.

Best of Luck,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Texas Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Not SmartLipo Better for Tummy Stretched by Pregnancy

+3

Thank you for your question. Please consult an experienced Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for advice.

Laser Assisted Liposuction will remove fat however it will not tighten or repair muscles that have been stretched by multiple pregnancies. An exam by a Board Certified plastic Surgeon can determine if your muscles are split and require repair.

I would also comment that the best Tummy Tuck results can be achieved after weight loss and your approaching your ideal weight. Excess fat under the abdominal skin limits the amount of tightening that you will get with a Full Tummy Tuck which is required for muscle repair.

Keep up the good work with your exercise and healthy lifestyle, it will pay dividends.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Liposuction or tummy tuck? (photo)

+3

TUMMY TUCK.  Liposuction, smart or otherwise, diminishes fat, but your pregnancies have stretched your abdominal wall, and there is also excess skin.  Only tummy tuck tightens the abdominal wall, and removes both excess fat AND skin.  You will not be happy with the result that liposuction alone will provide.

Steve Laverson, MD

Tummy Tuck or Lipo

+2

Based on your photos it seems reasonably clear that liposuction alone is not indicated.  Given your history you probably have a loose muscle layer that will only be improved with a tummy tuck and if you have extra skin then that will not be improved with liposuction either.  Perhaps some liposuction can be combined with the tummy tuck although it can be risky to perform much liposuction when having a traditional tummy tuck.  An experienced board-certified plastic surgeon should be able to explain your options to you and work with you to develop a plan to help you achieve your aesthetic goals.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

+2

After having 3 chidren , both your muscle and skin are loose as shown on your picture. The only way to obtain a flat and tight tummy is full tummy tuck. All the other option will leave you unhappy because of suboptimal improvement. Find an experience board certified plastic surgeon.

Shlomo Widder, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo or Tummy Tuck?

+2

100% a TUMMY TUCK is my choice for you based only upon the posted side view photo. Seek in person evaluations. 

Smart lipo is not an alternative to tummy tuck

+2
After pregnacy when the akin has been stretched it will not tighten enough with laser lipo such as smart lipo. Just this week I sW a patient who made that choice and now the tissues are so scarred that doing the tummy tuck will be very difficult and results not as good. Go for the tummy tuck!

Richard Baxter, MD

Tummy tuck is an important part of the mommy makeover

+2

If you are not planning to have more children, I'd recommend a tummy tuck.  It will tighten your muscles which is so important in reversing the changes of child bearing.  That is what will be most important in not looking two months pregnant.  Smartlipo can help reduce the fat but the muscle and skin will still be a problem.

Daryl K. Hoffman, MD
Los Gatos Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck or Liposuction?

+2

Thank you for the question and the positive comments!  Congratulations on the  beautiful family and healthy lifestyle.

Keeping in mind that accurate advice can only be given after direct  consultation I will give you my best advice.

Based on your history and photograph,  I think it is very safe to say that you will benefit from tummy tuck surgery.  I would not offer liposuction  surgery (alone) or  a mini tummy tuck operation to patients in your situation.

In my opinion, the mini tummy talk is an  operation that  produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For almost all patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important  for patients seeking abdominal contouring surgery to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve  their chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

TT of lipo??

+1

I see:

• excess abdominal skin
  • excess fat
  • abdominal bulge 

Liposuction will remove some excess fat, but will not deal with the excess skin (and there will be more excess after lipo), nor the abdominal bulge.

A mini tummy tuck will not eliminate enough excess skin and fat, and will not correct the upper abdominal wall. A full tummy tuck will address all the issues, and you should expect a nice result.