Liposuction, Mini or Tummy Tuck for Stomach and Love Handles in a Male?

I am a 32-year-old male, 6'4, 215 lbs, from L.A. I lost about 100 lbs years ago and have been contemplating getting my stomach and love handles done. Which procedure would be best for me -- Smart Lipo/Liposuction, or Tummy Tuck (full or mini)? I am very nervous but really want to look good. My love handles are what annoy me the most.

Tummy tuck with liposuction gives best results

+2

Liposuction alone will definitely improve the tummy and especially the sides and is safer, easier, and less expensive but a full tummy tuck with liposuction will give the best results. The liposuction would be under local tumescent anesthesia and not under general anesthesia.

Sincerely,

David Hansen, MD

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Candidate?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. Congratulations on your weight loss!

I think you would likely benefit from an extended tummy tuck procedure. A word of caution may be in order... In my opinion, For patients with your history,  liposuction or mini tummy tuck surgery are  operations that  produce very limited results and are very rarely indicated.  The mini  tummy tuck procedure involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For most patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results. Of course, there are downsides (including a longer scar and probably a longer recovery time) but for most patients the benefits outweigh the downsides. It is not unusual to see patients who've had mini tummy tuck  surgery present for  revisionary surgery.
It is important to work with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon to obtain advice (based on good ethics and judgment) to  improve your chances of a successful outcome and minimize the need for further surgery.

Tummy Tuck versus Liposuction

+1

There are many options one has to get rid of fat however there is really only one good option to get rid of excess abdominal skin and fat...tummy tuck. Liposuction will only remove fat and leave excess skin behind, while a tummy tuck will tighten the skin and remove fat. Some weight loss patients may need liposuciton to sculpt the love handles, while some patients may need to have posterior lift (body lift) to remove the excess skin.

Arthur Cambeiro, MD

Best Tummy Contouring Procedure After a 100 pound Weight Loss

+1

Before picking the tools for a repair job (ie operation) you really should define the problem you want fixed.

Moreover, you should listen to the advice being given by surgeons who can perform ALL body contouring operations NOT by those who can only perform liposuction in their offices and whose views are understandably economically skewed in favor of the procedures they are limited in offering.(Obviously, if all you have is a hammer - everything becomes a nail.)

If you ONLY wanted to get rid of more fat in the tummy overhang - go ahead and have liposuction. All liposuction will do is remove fat under the skin causing more drooping and sagging. Despite all you hear, it will not tighten skin markedly and especially not the stretched out damaged skin of someone who was very obese.

If you wanted to remove the overhang, you should have and EXTENDED HIGH LATERAL TENSION ABDOMINOPLASTY (Tummy Tuck). The procedure would tighten your stretched out abdominal wall, flatten the tummy, lift sagging privates and lift thigh sagging as well.

If combined with liposuction of the love handles, the result will be much better since both areas would be properly addressed.

To read everything you need to know about BODY CONTOURING AFTER MASSIVE WEIGHT LOSS, please read the comprehensive link below -

Dr. P. Aldea

Weight loss and options for abdomen

+1

After a 100 lb weight loss, you are probably a good candidate for a full tummy tuck and perhaps a circumferential procedure to remove the lax tissue from around the hips and back.

You need a tummy tuck and liposuction

+1

With your massive weight loss, you have developed significant skin laxity (looseness). If liposuction alone were performed, the skin would not tighten adequately, leaving you with significant amounts of loose skin. Your best results would come with aggressive liposuction of the hips, combined with abdominoplasty to remove all loose skin.

Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Massive weight loss and tummy areas

+1

Based on your photo, and your weight loss history, I feel that you will not be happy with lipo of any time, as you will likely have a lot of loose skin.

Scott E. Kasden, MD

Liposuction and/or tummy tuck

+1

The curved pendulous abdomen that you photograph probably will need a combination of abdominoplasty and liposuction, the latter mostly for the love handles, but the plastic surgeon may wish to some liposuction on the abdomen as well. When you see the surgeon in consultation, they will perform an exam to determine how flaccid the stomach muscle wall is versus the sagging skin as components to address in the surgery. You might undergo liposuction first of the abdomen and love handles and let it contract during the healing of the first six months. Then see how the skin falls and reevaluate the need of an abdominoplasty. If you are considering to have both procedures done concurrently, make certain you ask the surgeon about the risks of pulmonary embolus, which is very rare but the chance can increase if both are done at the same time. This is a serious potentially life-threatening complication but the surgeon would be able to tell you if this applies to you or not.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Combination of liposuction with full tummy tuck will be best for you

+1

When ever there is significant weight loss and loose skin it requires removing the skin to make the abdomen tight again. This will require a full abdominalplasty (tummy tuck). Combining this with repairing your separated muscles, and liposuction on your love handles and liposuction on your abdomen will give you the very best results.

Carl W. 'Rick' Lentz III, MD

Full Tummy Tuck for your stomach and love handles

+1

From your photo, a full tummy tuck is my choice. But you can just do the love handles first with Smart Lipo/Lipo to get an easy improvement. Regards.