Internal Scarring After Mini Tummy Tuck and Liposuction?

I had a mini tummy tuck and liposuction, and I'm feeling something like a hard bump right in the center of the scar and a little above it. Is this internal scarring?

Go back to your treating plastic surgeon

+2

It is very difficult to say what you are feeling without an examination and knowing what exact methods were performed at your surgery. I would strongly advise you to return to your treating plastic surgeon for an evaluation. There are several things that this could be including “internal scarring”. Again, your plastic surgeon is the most qualified to definitively answer your questions.

Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Scarring May Occur Between The SKin & Muscle Layer In Tummy Tuck

+1
Normally, a mini tummy tuck begins with liposuction of the entire abdominal wall.Any scarring that occurs is between the skin and the muscle layer.It does not involve structures underneath the muscle or surrounding your internal organs.When the mini abdominoplasty is performed, an incision is made along the lower abdomen.The skin and fat layer is then lifted off of the underlying muscle layer until the bellybutton is encountered.At this point, the elevation is stopped and the skin and fat layer is pulled downward as snugly as possible. The excess skin and fat are then removed and the skin incision is closed.Any scarring that occurs from this will be between the fat layer and the muscle layer also.There should be no scarring internally in the area below the muscle layer.Normally, the scarring in the fat layer is not a problem.If however, there is any associated infection or bleeding problem in the fat layer then more scarring can be created.Fortunately, this is not the usual case.

John J. Edney, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

MIdline firmness after a mini tummy tuck

+1

The midline firmness that you may be feeling could be the plication of the muscles in the midline.  An exam would be more definitive.

Fullness and firmness in mini tummy tuck incision (scar)

+1

The firmness could be normal and the result of stitches or a dead fat. However, it could also require aspiration and/or drainage. Your surgeon will be the best judge of that.

Internal scarring after tummy tuck with liposuction

+1

After a mini tummy tuck with liposuction, patients will have a significant recovery process. During the early-stage of the recovery period, patients can expect swelling bruising and some areas of firmness. These areas are your own tissues healing and recovering after the trauma of surgery and liposuction. With time, these areas will soften and these symptoms will go away. Your best bet is to use a compression garment at all times. My patients report that when they sleep with their compression garment, then wake up fully compressed and this gives them a head start on the day. If you continue to have these firm areas a deep massage may be beneficial.

Pat Pazmino, MD

See your surgeon

+1

For post-operative issues like the one you describe, you are best off seeing your original surgeon. He or she knows what was done exactly and what was used. Not all operations are alike.

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon