Smart Lipo Better Than Tummy Tuck for Post Baby Belly?

I run 3-4 times a week and lift weights regularly, but I am unable to lose some of the fat from my pregnancy on my stomach. I also have some scar tissue associated with my c-section. Is Smart Lipo a better choice over a Tummy Tuck?

Smart Lipo vs. Tummy tuck

+2

There really is no comparison here. I would compare smart lipo and tumescent or tradition lipo. Tummy tuck removes skin and fat where liposuction removes fat only.

So if you have excess skin as you would after pregnancy then a tummy tuck is what you would need.

As far as smart lipo goes, it is not magic and no different results than traditional liposuction. You will see that there are dermatologist and so called cosmetic surgeons (dont know what a "cosmetic surgeon" is or does, there is no board for cosmetic surgery, just weekend courses) that push smart lipo over other surgical procedures and try to fit every patient into a smart lipo procedure. You need to understand that this is because dermatologist and "cosmetic surgeons" do these procedures in their office under local sedation with some oral sedative. They are not allowed to do "surgery" at a surgery center or hospital because they are not surgeons and really should not be performing liposuction, as it is real surgery. So make sure you are seeing a BOARD CERTIFIED PLASTIC SURGEON.

Good luck. Hope this helps shed some light on this topic.

Probably not

+2

Without seeing photos, it's hard to answer this question. That being said, most women who have had children have laxity (looseness) of the abdominal wall muscles, extra skin with poor elasticity, and some extra fat. You also mentioned scar tissue from your C-section.

Liposuction, whether it is Smart Lipo, Slim Lipo, ultrasound-assisted liposuction, power assisted liposuction, standard liposuction, etc., will not improve laxity of the abdominal wall or the abdominal wall scar tissue. Although a few surgeons claim a significant amount of skin tightening with Smart Lipo, it almost never is significant in women who have children, as much of the skin's elasticity has been compromised by pregnancy. Thus, liposuction will really only be beneficial is your only problem is isolated fat collections without extra skin or muscle laxity.

Your best bet is evaluation by a board-certified plastic surgeon, with experience in liposuction and tummy tucks. He or she can give you an honest assessment about the relative benefits of both operations.

Best of luck.

Sam Jejurikar, MD

Smart Lipo is not better than Tummy Tuck for post baby belly

+2

IMPOSSIBLE. NO WAY. NOT EVEN CLOSE.

Rebecca first you must understand WHY (Not so) Smart - lipo can never replace an abdominoplasty to correct "post baby belly".

As you know, the pregnancy results in a huge stretching of all the abdominal muscles which culminates in a true separation of the six pack (rectus) muscles in the midline creating the "diastasis". While being active is otherwise great for your health, it cannot and will not magically bring the muscles back to the center and fuse them together, the way they were before the baby(ies). ( Much like your husband borrowing your favorite blouse and wearing it for 9 months. Do you think it would fit you ever again without having to be taken in??)

You can see an illustration of this on my website at http://www.cosmeticsurgeryspecialists.org/bodyprocedures/mommymakeover.html

A tummy tuck will formally flatten your abdomen, recover your hour glass shape, lift the pubic mound some and could even smooth the cellulite on your anterior thighs. NONE of these can be achieved by "Smart Lipo".

Liposuction removes fat. Period. It does not repair the muscle and cannot reverse any of the changes caused by pregnancy. Smart Lipo purports to shrink skin. I and many of my colleagues are still skeptical of such claims. I'll stop there. Search this site for some Smart Lipo stories.

If you completed your family and want to regain your figure and potentially even get one better than you had - Abdominoplasty is the way to go.

I hope this answered your question.

Tummy Tuck vs Smart or Slim Lipo

+1

A tummy tuck definitely gives you more versatility to remove excess skin, fat and tighten the underlying abdominal muscles.  Hence, it has the potential to give you the strongest results.  That doesn't mean everyone should have a tummy tuck over Slim or Smart Lipo.

Both Slim Lipo and Smart Lipo use laser to melt fat and tighten skin.  However the degree of tightening is more incremental compared to the amount you can tighten with a tummy tuck.  So the ideal candidate has good to moderate skin tone to begin with and does not require (or want) any muscle tightening.

Another in-between option is the mini-tummy tuck.  If your moderate laxity is limited to below the belly button, then you can consider a mini-tummy tuck.  You already have a c-section scar and if the scar is heavy or causing you pain, this may be opportunity to have that revised as well.

Also remember that may surgeons will combine a liposuction procedure with a mini-tummy or full-tummy tuck procedure to further enhance the result.

Good luck

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

It may be able to, but most plastic surgeons won't admit it!

+1

The answer depends on which specialty you consult for your procedure. If you go to a plastic surgeon, most like the answer will be no. On the other hand, many dermatologists and other cosmetic surgeons who perform SmartLipo have seen cases (as I have in my practice) where SmartLipo offers a fantastic alternative to a tummy tuck.

Additionally, a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty) leaves most women with a terrible scar, while SmartLipo done by the tumescent method is nearly scarless. It pays to consult a dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon with an open mind rather than hearing NO like in a Capital One commercial. Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist