How is the recovery time with Smart Lipo; Swelling/Recovery?

Hi - I am getting smartlipo done on my outer/inner thighs tomorrow. I am generally very thin except with abnormally big saddlebags/lowerbody. I will be going to work 2 days later, I usually wear pants, will the swelling be so much that it will be visible through normal clothes or will I be wearing clothes 1 size up? I dont want to look abnormal with swelled up thighs because I am very petite and I will be meeting a lot of people at work. Also in exactly 3 weeks I will be travelling, is it ok/

Smartlipo recovery...

+1

Smartlipo is less traumatic then regular liposuction, causing less swelling to the body areas treated. When having smartlipo you should expect to be out of work for at least 2-3 days. Commonly after surgery you will be required to wear a compression garment for about 6 weeks, depending on what your surgeon recommends. A compression garment is typically worn to reduce swelling and promote skin retraction. As the patient, you should abstain from heavy lifting for at least 1-2 weeks post surgery.

Edison Plastic Surgeon

Swelling and lipo

+1

Swelling after any form of liposuction is normal.  In most cases you can go back to work in a few days.  By three weeks you can do most activities but will experience additional swelling.

Swelling after smart lipo.

+1

I would discuss this with your surgeon who can provide your with the best advice. For example, The treated fat can be evacuated with a traditional liposuction machine or can be left for the body to resorb. In the latter situation, the swelling can persist for a longer period after surgery.

If you were my patient, I would advise you to go on vacation; relax and enjoy the trip followed by the surgical procedure when you return.  However, it is safe to travel more than 2 weeks following any surgical procedure. 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/body-surgery-chicago/liposuction/

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.