Common Practice Not to Suction out Fat After Smart Lipo?

I'm considering Smart Lipo on my abdomen. I'm 110 pounds and in very good shape, but child #3 left me with some fat on my stomach that I can't get rid of. My doctor (a board-certified plastic surgeon) doesn't suction out the dissolved fat afterwards, and said it may take months until I see the final result. Is this common practice?

Not Common

+2

Smart lipo was FDA approved to be used incombination with fat aspiration. Some plastic surgeons may use the device to break up some of the fat and tighten the skin. This technique is intended to try to tighten the skin without deflating it at the same time.

Your best bet is to have your plastic surgeon(if indeed he is a plastic surgeon) explain to you why he is doing it that way.

Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

No fat suction after Smart Lipo NOT common practice

+2

If your surgeon is planning on doing Smart Lipo alone and not suctioning, I would seriously consider going elsewhere. The benefit of this is that the healing is much quicker if the fat is suctioned and results are much more reliable if it is as well.

I always suction and am constantly surprised that some surgeons don't. You may not even need it if you are that weight and maybe he is doing it but not really feeling you need it so that is why he isn't suctioning. If that is the case, you may need to get a second opinion from someone who is willing to tell you one way or the other.

You may want to go to a dermatologist who does the tumescent method in your area as this is the way to get the quickest recovery as well. Good luck.

Omaha Dermatologist

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.