Smart Lipo or Regular Lipo on the Face?

I have fat cheeks and some fat I want removed from my jawline. Would smart lipo or regular lip be the way to go? Would it be safe for the face?

Microliposuction is safest in the face.

I don't think you want any additional source of energy in the face as with Smart Lipo.

Delicate technique, tiny cannulas, and classic liposuction work best in the face and neck.

875 Park Ave at 78th Street
New York, NY 10075

Liposuction choices

Most Plastic Surgeons use traditional liposuction in facial areas.  Discuss this with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to confirm that you are a candidate for facial liposuction.  Depending upon your age and skin, a facelift may be required to remove excess skin to give you the result you desire.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

980 Johnson Ferry Road
Atlanta, GA 30342

Cheek and Jawline Liposuction

Facial Liposuction is best used for the jowls, neck, and very minimally around the mouth.  Further, most patients require techniques other than liposuction for facial rejuvenation.  However, in the appropriate patient, most plastic surgeons would perform traditional liposuction and not use SmartLipo.  In a 2011 study, only 10.5% of members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery use SmartLipo or any other Laser Assisted Liposuction (LAL), but 38% have treated a patient with complications secondary to LAL.  Granted, most of the experience with liposuction is for the trunk and not the face. (Ahmad J, Eaves FF, 3rd, Rohrich RJ, Kenkel JM: The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) survey: current trends in liposuction. Aesthet Surg J 2011,31(2):214-224.)

As stated previously, find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who has experience in facial rejuvenation and have them discuss different options with you and show you pictures of patients with similar concerns. Good luck in achieving your goals.

Luis Zapiach, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

1 West Ridgewood Avenue
Paramus, NJ 07652

Lipo for jawline

Liposuction should be used sparingly in the face. It is best to limit this to the sub mental region, and occasionally for jowls.  It is best to determine this by exam.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Smart Lipo of the face

I agree with my colleagues below that first and foremost you need to have a board certified plastic surgeon with sculpting experience in the areas you are interested in. Have them show you before and after pictures of patients similar to you. Having said that, I prefer SmartLipo for the neck as I feel there is improved skin tightening in this area with the additional laser treatment. 

Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS

560 Northern Blvd.
Great Neck, NY 11021

Liposuction modalities

Liposuction is frequently used to contour the chin area. SmartLipo refers to a particular machine, but I agree with Dr. Peters that you should select a surgeon and not a machine which is marketed by a manufacturer as the "better" method. Surgical judgment and technique are the most important elements in any procedure. Chin liposuction is a very simple procedure which can be performed in the office under local anesthesia. As for the cheeks, I would reserve judgment in the absence of a photograph but note that what is fat today can be an excellent, middle aged face as opposed to one with sagging which needs fillers!

Robert L. Kraft, MD

112-03 Queens Blvd
Forest Hills, NY 11375

What is So Smart About Smart Lipo?

Choosing to have surgery is an important decision.  The decision is made best with a highly qualified, fully trained surgeon who is Board certified in PLASTIC SURGERY.  The name "smart" lipo is frivolous.  It is a marketing gimmick. You would be smart to pick a trustworthy surgeon to disuss your goals with and come up with a reasonable personalized plan.  Do not pick the type of lipo first.

Mary Lee Peters, MD

901 Boren Avenue
Seattle, WA 98104