Smart Lipo by Non Board Certified Plastic Surgeon on Small Areas?

Is it ok to have Smart Lipo done on the flanks by just any doctor? Is it a big deal? They are very small areas and I am completely skinny I just can't get rid of the fat, but I don't want to pay thousands of dollars for just 2 areas.

You're kidding, right?

+2

Do you fly on airplanes with an unproven track record that are flown by non-certified pilots?

If not, why would you choose a gimmicky procedure and have it done by someone who does not have the highest level of training?

I have to say that I am amazed at the question. All surgery is surgery. All surgery can lead to risks and complications. If you can't afford to do it right, then you can't afford to do it wrong.

Board Certified-YES Any Doctor -NO

+1

The correct and unbiased answer to your question is that you should go to a reputable, well-trained surgeon who has extensive training and experience in liposuction. This could include many specialties known in the field of cosmetic surgery as "Core Competent" specialties: plastic surgeons, dermatologic surgeons and facial plastic surgeons. Board certification is important as anyone who has trained at a reputable program, regardless of their specialty, should have board certification. The incorrect assumption is that you have to go to a plastic surgeon.

Dermatologists are responsible for many of the advances and current techniques utilized in liposuction surgery today. True, not all dermatologist/Dermatologic surgeons perform or are trained in liposuction just as NOT all plastic surgeons have comprehensive training in or perform cosmetic surgery. Yes this is a confusing concept to many patients, but the reality is not every doctors training is the same, nor is every doctors' skill or capabilites the same.

You must consult with and interview many cosmetic surgeons, review their credentials and training, i.e. have they completed fellowship training that includes training is cosmetic surgery such as liposuction and do they have experience in treating the areas you are interested in. NO, I would definitely NOT trust any doctor with my surgery even if it is small area. If you are being offered a cheap price you are likely to get a cheap result. Cosmetic surgery is not cheap but you must consider it an investment in quality.

Edgar Franklin Fincher, MD, PhD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Actually, it depends on his qualifications.Dermatologists invented tumescent liposuction, by the way

+1

Your question is a loaded one as most plastic surgeons will delight in answering that they are the only ones who can do this procedure. The reality is that SmartLipo isn't the whole deal, the real deal is the part that comes before it, the preparation of the fat and the part after SmartLipo, the removal of the fat.

The other thing is the risk that is associated with this procedure if it is done by a plastic surgeon in the OR. Statistically speaking, you are much less likely to die in the hands of a dermatologist doing this procedure under tumescent anesthesia than going to a hospital and having a plastic surgeon put you under.

There have been multiple articles and studies that prove this. Now, if you get to a non-trained individual who just put his or her shingle up and now is doing SmartLipo, that's a totally different question and one that is very scary to both dermatologists and plastic surgeons alike.

This type of question is one that won't be answered easily in one post, but does need to be aired out as you have. Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Your doctor should be qualify to do the procedure

+1

From all the excellent comment you  have your answer . We all take pride in our training and   board certification . The laser lipo may be a simple procedure , but you should make sure that the doctor is qualified to take care of you during and after surgery. 

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Board certified plastic surgeon and smart lipo

+1

Ask yourself why would I want to have a cosmetic procedure form a non-plastic surgeon. If you come up with a good answer then go with it. A good answer should not be based on price alone.

Ask yourself also, should I have my family doctor deliver my baby, should I have an OB/Gyn remove my gall bladder, should I have a plastic surgeon operate on my brain?

It is a non brainer to consult with a plastic surgeon and have a plastic surgeon do the procedure. You should slo be specific reagrding which plastic surgeon. Make sure they have done the procedure and can show you results and ask for patient referrals.

Be very, very careful about having a non-plastic surgeon doing plastic surgery on you. Also be wary of the "Board Certified Cosmetic Surgeon" Make sure you know what you are dealing with because there is alot of deception out there.

John P. Stratis, MD
Harrisburg Plastic Surgeon

Certification by The American Board of Plastic Surgery is important for your safety and satisfaction

+1

Hi there-

No one would blame you for trying to find the best value in these difficult economic times. It is important to understand that to be a good value, however, you would need to be sure you were receiving top-notch care from a well-educated and trained provider who has the understanding of the procedure in question necessary to keep you safe and maximize your chances of achieving your goal.

There is simply no substitute for education and training. Your (non-plastic surgeon) provider cannot possibly learn as much about liposuction as the average Board Certified Plastic Surgeon knows after years of training and experience by taking a few courses on weekends and buying a machine.

6 months from now, after a poor experience and outcome, you would probably GLADLY pay the additional costs to not have had a bad outcome and experience....

Even in Aesthetic Surgery, you will generally get what you've paid for. Be careful.

Armando Soto, MD

Not a time to pinch your pennys

+1

The problem is you may save in the short term and pay in the long term. Its better for you to spend your money wisely and seek the services of a qualified phsyician who will perform the procedure properly the first time.

Cosmetic Surgery should not be performed by just anyone

+1

Nobody comes to a plastic surgeon's office wanting to pay large amounts of money for cosmetic surgery. What patients are paying for, though, is skill and expertise garnered over years and years of training, and competence confirmed by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. Although the physical act of liposuction is relatively straightforward, many nuances to the technique exist. Failure to observe these can cause asymmetry and contour deformities. Correction of these problems can be more costly than the price of the original procedure.

Bottom line - you're much better off with a board certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck - hope this helps.

Sam Jejurikar, MD