Nerve and Gland Damage Possible After Smart Lipo?

I would like to have Smart Lipo done on my neck, jowls, chin area but I'm concerned about the potential nerve or gland damage in such a sensitive area. Please expand on this.

This area has a special potential for nerve damage, so you are right to question it.

+1

The nerves around the jawline/neck area are very close to the surface, which allows them to be damaged during a routine liposuction and potentially a little bit more during the SmartLipo. I can tell you that in all my SmartLipo cases so far there hasn't been any nerve damage to this area that I have seen.

That doesn't mean that it can't or won't occur with yours, but I am just thinking you ought to interview the surgeon carefully and ask exactly this type of question of them. Good luck!

Omaha Dermatologist

Smartlipo and nerve damage and gland damage

+1

Laser heat is non-specific, and it may damage sensory nerves more easily than with other techniques.  Knowing the anatomy and identifying the proper plane of liposuction will limit the risk of injuring a gland.

Experience and knowledge of anatomy is critical in limiting damage during liposuction or lipolysis.

+1

These complications are not unique to laser lipolysis and can occur with any lipolytic technology.To explain why some surgeons get these complications and others do not is difficult to relate. I sometimes explain this with an oversimplified analogy: For example, although driving home is generally safe and you may do it every night, it requires that you follow some simple rules such as staying in your lane. That little yellow line that divides you from the opposite lane of traffic may only be 2-3 inches wide but it amkes a difference between life and death. A good driver obeys the rules. If you cross over the line, you could hit a car with serious consequences.

A skilled surgeon is generally knowledgeable in the anatomy and tends to obey the rules and stay in their lane, meaning they know their anatomy and stay within the borders to avoid damage to critical structures. When performing lioposuction on the neck this means you must stay beneath the skin but above the muscle where most of the critical structures are located. That is why it is important to select a skilled surgeon.

Hopefully, this was not to simple.

Concerns over the heat effect on nerve coverings

+1

There are concerns in the plastic surgery community related to the effect of heat on the external covering of nerves(myelin sheath). Most board certified plastic surgeons would agree that Smart lipo is not superior to other types of liposuction. The key is the provider experience with his own technique.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS