Smart Lipo for Minimal Tightening of Loose Skin on Belly Button?

Skin tightening needed around belly button but does NOT warrant Tummy Tuck. I have done lots of research regarding how I can tighten a small amount of skin around my belly button (post baby).

I know every doctor says only a tummy tuck will work but I am posting my picture to show that the problem really doesn't warrant that route. As it is a a relatively minor amount of looseness I just feel there MUST be something I can do. I had chosen Smart Lipo as I heard it had skin tightnening benefits but now I worry with less fat the looseness will be worse?

Does Smartlipo really produce skin shrinkage?

+2

Hi there-

Unfortunately, and contrary to the claims made by the manufacturer and those who have spent a lot of money purchasing the equipment, there has not been a well done scientific study proving that this device (or any of the others that use similar technology) does actually lead to skin shrinkage beyond what is seen with any other form of liposuction. And that's the critical element to understand...

With regard to your situation in particular, I would agree with my colleagues that you are very likely to end up disappointed and sorry you spent your money on this. If that's not bad enough, I feel I should tell you that the average patient I see after that procedure has new problems with her body contour (caused by the surgery) and which are more difficult to correct. Bad enough you may not get what you want... to have a new and bigger problem would really be bad...

I don't recommend it...

I wish I could offer you something safe that WOULD work, but for the problem you have, we still don't have a great solution. I would recommend you stay on top of the trends and wait until we do have something safe and effective for you.

Smart Lipo for loose skin depends on your expectations

+2

If you are not ready for tummy tuck and would accept som improvement,the laser lipo can be helpful. The main concern about laser lipo is that this offered by non-plastic surgeons and they do not offer other option to the patient. There are very limited indiction for the laser lipo. The main problem that I see from non-plastic surgeons doing laser lipo is too much fat removal and loss of tissue elasticity.

There other option would be to do Thermage and then laser lipo. This not a proven technique and I offer this for the patients that do not want tummy tuck and have a relastic and limited expectations.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo won't shrink your skin

+2

You will be very unhappy if you waste your money on Smartlipo thinking it will shrink the lax skin around your belly button. There really isn't a great procedure for what you have. It would be nice if we could pursestring the skin into the umbilicus but that has been tried and doesn't produce a good result.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Do not feel laser lipolysis will produce satisfactory skin contraction

+2

There are no easy solutons for this. IF you try the smartlipo, I doubt you will see satisfactory results. If you do then you should post them.  I typically see the patients who have undergone the procedure and are dissatisfied so my opinion is skewed.

Smart lipo for central abdomen

+1

your goals are relatively easy to accomplish with liposuction. Tummy tuck will flatten your abdomen and tighten you core, but lipo will help with contour issues.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

You're a great candidate for Smart Lipo

+1

Yes, you are a great candidate for this liposuction modality, Smart Lipo. Be sure that the treating doctor has VAST experience. Regards and Good Luck. 

It depends on what you want and how much laxity there is

+1

Skin around the belly button can range from lax to easy to repair with liposuction. Everyone is different when it comes to this, but what we find is that many folks who do a tummy tuck are displeased as the look of the 'new' belly button is very odd and scarred. For this reason, it may be worthwhile to try the liposuction route. This can be done either with or without SmartLipo. While the claims are sometimes exaggerated, there is a kernel of truth to the fact that it does result in some tightening of the skin. Huge amounts? No. Small amounts? Yes.

Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist