Smart Lipo - How Can I Reverse the Side Effects?

I had my hips and pubic area done july 2008 and have had many complications post op. Because of all the swelling and skin loss in the pubic area after Smart lipo i have a hard time walking, sitting and playing with my children. i am now on my third round of antibiotics and alot of pain med that does not seem to help. i was also told i could resume normal routine the next day. I have now been told i may need to have reconstruction done to my pubic area and the hair may never return. what do you think? I am open to any ideas on how to heal the swelling and the hole that has been left. please veiw the picture for a visual.

Smart Lipo Complications

+3

Niffer - Sorry to hear about your complications.

While complications can occur with any procedure I agree with Dr. Rand that these complications (skin loss, seroma, prolonged antibiotics) are a bit unusual.

There may be ways to minimize the scars and improve the contour as you move forward. I would definitely recommend discussing these issues with a board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck.

Complications from smart lipo

+1
I agree with the previous surgeons response. It is difficult with to determine exactly what has caused the problems whether it was too aggressive lipo, a seroma, or infection causing poor wound healing. If there is ongoing infection or poor wound healing it may be time to involve an infectious disease specialist to eliminate any possibility of this, although unlikely chronic infection. The poor wound healing may also need be handled by a surgeon who understands this first before reconstructive surgery is considered.

David Amron, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction complications - Los Angeles

+1

I would continue to have your surgeon monitor the results and advise patients to continue local wound care. Raffy Karamanoukian, Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Go and see an ABPS surgeon to figure the problem out

+1

You would be wise to go to an American Board of Plastic Surgery certified surgeon for an evaluation of the problem because what you describe is definitely not normal and may be out of the training of your current doctor as to what to do to manage it.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

This sounds like you went to someone who is way out of their league - you need a second opinion

+1

None of these things have ever happened to me in over 13 years of performing liposuction and any of my SmartLipo cases. While I can't say what exactly happened, it appears that something is very wrong here and you need a second opinion to see what it is. This shouldn't be happening and if it is, you have an issue that needs to be addressed. Most likely, the surgeon who did this is trying to fix it, but he or she may just not have the tools or skills to fix it. Sorry, but you have a problem on your hands.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist