Is Smart Lipo Good for Asian Skin? I Heard It'll Leave Burn Marks

I recently went to see a doctor for Smart Lipo. His name is Dr L. He told me that Smart Lipo will leave burn marks on Asian Skin, so he wouldn't recommend it to me (I am an asian women). However, his answer didn't really convinced me so I am asking you Is Smart Lipo not good for Asian Skin?

Smart Lipo is safe for any type of skin

+1

Smart Lipo does not act up on the skin surface, but rather deep below the skin. It has been proven to be able to tighten skin from below.

Done properly it should never create a burn, no matter what type of skin you have.

South Bend Facial Plastic Surgeon

Smartlipo is safe for Asian skin

+1

Laser-assisted liposuction with Smartlipo is safe for any skin type. The newer versions of Smartlipo (MPX and higher) have multiple safety features which minimize the risk of burns. Asian skin as well as any skin type 3 or higher have greater risk for developing dark blemishes after any skin incision, including incision sites used for Smartlipo. These may take up to one year to fade. Sometimes a topical bleaching cream or a Fraxel laser treatment is necessary to facilitate fading. Good luck with your Smartlipo experience!

Bellevue Dermatologic Surgeon

Smartlipo does not burn Asian skin

+1

Smartlipo liposuction is performed in a fluid environment called the tumescent technique. This should prevent burns in any patient. There is no reason Asian skin is more prone to burns than any other ethnic group.

Chicago Dermatologist

Smartlipo should not burn the skin

+1

neither smartlipo nor any liposuction, including ultrasonic liposuction, should burn the skin, but there is a risk of thermal burn with these two procedures, in any patient regardless of color. If however, some skin types such as Asian skin may be more prone to postinflammatory hyperpigmentation if there is a thermal burn from the laser or ultrasound, or frictional trauma from the cannula insertion of any liposuction.

Smartlipo should not leave burns to any skin type, no lipo should leave burns

+1

Smartlipo, or any type of liposuction should not leave skin burns.  The incisions used for Smartlipo are small since the procedure uses a fine fiberoptic laser with a temperature probe and these both are relatively thin and flexible, which has permitted me to offer improved result to my patient population.

For all liposuction procedures, efforts are made to protect the skin incision from heat, friction (the technique uses a back and forth motion, there heat can build up at the incision or entry site) and  cannula trauma. 

Smartlipo TriPlex utilizes 3 wavelengths of light that heat the tissues, but the internal temperature and the external temperature of the fatty tissue and skin are continuously monitored and these temperatures are recorded on my OR record.  All parts of the procedure use temperature monitors to prevent overheating of tissues, yet safely permit optimal treatment of the fat for emulsification and skin for collagen tightening.

Using these techniques and built in safety mechanisms will allow the procedure to be safely performed.  Since heat is being utilized in various surgical techniques, such as Smartlipo, other types of laser liposuction and ultrasonic liposuction, burns are a risk, but safety mechanisms are constantly in place to prevent this from occurring.

Skin is skin, and to my knowledge there is no reason Asian skin is more susceptible to "burns".  Thin skin can be more susceptible to heat from any source.  Asians, in general have thicker skin, so this is good. 

However, certain ethnic skin types, including Asians, African Americans, and Mediterranean skin types, can be genetically prone to thick, raised scars, known as "hypertrophic" or "keloid" scars, so this is a reason to take a good history of how a patient scars.  If the patient has a history of these undesirable patterns of scarring, then precautions can be discussed and taken in planning any type of surgery.  Hypertrophic and keloid scars can result from even small surgical incisions, so patients must know that this is a risk, and again precautions can be planned and taken during the procedures to attempt to prevent these undesirable scar responses.

I would be more concerned about the experience of a surgeon with a particular technique, and not focus on this statement, except that it may be indicative of a surgeon who prefers not to do Smartlipo and favors other techniques.  Smartlipo is not a cure all and is not something all surgeons use or are trained to use, so as a patient you should have good judgment in seeking opinions and choose a good surgeon who has experience in a technique that will be the best for you.

SmartLipo is safe

+1

There is no increased risk of "burns" to asian skin compared to any other skin type when using SmartLipo.  When the laser is used appropriately it is completely safe.  Burns occur from too much heat building up under the skin.  Asian skin does have a risk of forming hyperpigmented spots at the site of surgical incisions or the sites of liposuction or SmartLipo cannula placement. These spots fade over time

Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon