Will Smart Lipo Cause Extreme Looseness at the Upper Arms?

Hello, I want to know if smart lipo on the the upper arms will produce good options, since I have alot of stretch marks? Also,the skin feels thick but really loose. I am interested in a arm lift, but would prefer to have lipo first.

SmartLipo

+1

Stretch marks will minimize the skin retraction and loose skin is a higher risk.  Lipo first, and an armlift/brachipolasty later, if enough retraction did not occur may be a path to consider.  Talk with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and have your options evaluated.

Bay Area Dermatologist

Two versus one stage procedure for arm lift

+1

While the ideal circumstance is to initally have either laser-assisted or traditional liposuction folllowed by a staged arm lift six months later, most patients find the costs and recovery of two procedures prohibitvely expensive. While you can expect a signficant reduction in your arm fat through liposuction alone, the trade off wil be some loose skin. For some patients, they better tolerate loose skin than the long incisions that are used with an arm lift procedure. For others, they would rather deal with the scars, but have tighter arm skin. This is a decision you'll have to make together with your plastic surgeon. There is no one perfect way to address the arms under these circumstances, and so the better predictor of success will be your (the patient's) goals, and not necessary the goals of your surgeon.

Jeffrey D. Hoefflin, MD

SmartLipo upper arms and loose skin

+1

It is a great idea to have SmartLipo before arm lift especially if you have too much fat under your arms. However, a lot of our patients cannot afford 2 procedures. They elect to have liposuction and arm lift done at the same time. We have many excellent results with the one stage procedure. For those that have the means, a stage procedure is preferred. Consult with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to help you determine which option is better for you.

Good luck.

Stanley Okoro, MD

SmarlLipo can remove excess fat in the upper arms

+1

I have been doing SmartLipo for almost 5 years. The upper arm is one of the spots that is measured with a caliper for body fat measurements (called the tricep fold) because this area preferentially deposits fat with age. To get your best result, a two step approach may make good sense:

• SmartLipo to remove the excess fat, (but not overly aggressive)
  • A removal of skin excess after the healing is complete.

Edward Szachowicz, MD, PhD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Staged arm lift and liposuction

+1

The concept of a staged liposuction followed by an arm lift is not entirely unreasonable from your starting point.  You have too much fat in the arm for a great arm lift and have too much skin excess for just liposuction alone.  The staged procedure would be to first thin the arm then secondarily remove the excess skin.  This is not the usual way to do things but might make sense in your situation.  An in person exam of course is necessary to confirm this.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS