Exercising After Smart Lipo

I am 8 days after Smart Lipo on my upper and lower abdominals. I have swelling etc. (as everyone else does). However, my doctor has instructed me not to exercise at all - including no walking. (Although he did recommend the ultrasound twice a week for a total of six treatments).

It was explained that exercise will cause the swelling to harden and then make it longer and more difficult to reduce. My logic was to begin exercise in order to bring more blood flow to the area and thereby reduce the swelling quicker.

Am I wrong or is my doctor just hoping I'll purchase the additional treatments? And if so, are the treatments worth it or should I just wait out the swelling? Thanks.

Exercising after Smart Liposuction

+1

Plastic Surgeons certainly differ with their recommendations. In this case I would agree more with your logic.

Here are the recommendations I give my patients regarding the recovery process including exercise after liposuction - Smart Lipo and other techniques of  liposuction -
As with all operations, pain and discomfort varies greatly from patient to patient. Generally, one should expect that pain medication will be required for the first few days. Continuing discomfort can last varying amounts of time.  Much of the swelling and bruising will be improved within two weeks; however, some will persist for six to eight weeks.  It is often difficult to see permanent changes in the body shape before this time.
Most patients are instructed to wear an elastic garment from four to six weeks to help with skin shrinkage. Your plastic surgeon will tell you how long you should wear your elastic garment. For patients with poor skin elasticity Endermologie treatments may be recommended.
Normal activity may be resumed at 1 to 2 weeks post operation.  In general, patients may return to office work 3-5 days after the operation, and 14 days for more active employment.  After the operation, exercises are recommended, such as walking immediately and progressive activities beginning on the 14th day, in order to minimize the adhesions between the skin and the deeper tissues. Walking, swimming, or a stationary bicycle can usually begin in a few days after surgery. Specific time periods for resumption of daily activities, work, and exercise with be further discussed by your surgeon post operation.
Early results are seen 10-14 days after surgery, but improvement continues for 4-6 months.  Persistent swelling and irregularities may be present for several months.  If antibiotics are prescribed, they should be taken as directed.

I have my patients exercising 10 days after Smart Lipo

+1

I think your doctor is being way too cautious. I let my patients exercise after 10 days and after 2 wks let them exercise hard. Of course, there are exceptions to this rule.

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon