Smart Lipo Thighs

I went to my Dr. and had a second consultation for the Smart Lipo procedure. I am not 100% sure if I am a good candidate for this and I left the office still feeling confused. I have large thighs (always have) and as I am getting older,(I am 42) they are getting more jiggly. I do work out 3x's a week, but my thighs never seem to shrink in size. Will this procedure really help me scale them down a bit, or should I work out more often instead of spending the $4,500?

Smart Lipo doesn't reduce jiggle!

+5

Any kind of liposuction removes fat to make an area thinner.

But it will not make you less "jiggly." In fact, with less "stuffing" in the skin, the perception of looseness sometimes increases.

Patients need to understand this. It makes people thinner, but not younger.

The claim that certain methods of liposuction tightens skin is as old as the procedure itself. And like miracle fountain of youth drugs, NOT ONE has ever been shown to achieve this. Ultrasonic liposuction and superficial liposuction have long been claimed to increase skin tightening. But this has never been proved. And at best, they might only make up for some of the increased laxity that results from the removal of fat of the procedure, but they would never increase the tightness relative to where someone started out before surgery.

SmartLipo is the latest fad liposuction procedure, claiming the ability to tighten - but without any proof. The buzz at the recent American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery meeting was that SmartLipo was a gimmick, and the procedure is held in disrepute as a marketing device by many respected plastic surgeons.

So, if you want to be thinner, get lipo. But don't expect the jiggle to get better; you should even be prepared for it being worse.

Smart Lipo and Liposuction of the thighs

+4

Laser assisted liposuction with Smart lipo provides added benefits to regular liposuction. Smart lipo and VASER ultrasound assisted liposuction melt fat and also produce some skin shrinkage. These techniques minimize contour irregularities associated with regular liposuction.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Will Smartlipo Work?

+3

Smarlipo and Lipo work by removing fat cells.  There is some tightening of the skin due to fibrosis of the underlying tissue and contraction of the collagen.  Smartlipo is great for targeted areas such as the thighs, hips, abdomen, chest (for men), arms, chin, etc.  

David Shafer, MD

Smart Lipo or SlimLipo for thighs - good option

+2

Using a laser liposuction device is a great option if you have moderate to good skin tone and want to reduce volume in certain areas.  I would stress that your weight should be relatively stable and that you maintain your balance of diet and exercise to maintain that.  To better answer whether Slim Lipo or Smart Lipo is an option for you, it would be helpful to have a picture to see.  Both procedures have a very high satisfaction rate.  Good luck.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

SmartLipo removes unwanted fat

+2

Like all liposuction procedures, SmartLipo removes localized collections of unwanted fat. If you have excess fat located on your thighs, it may be a good option. However, as the other physicians have mentioned, it will not reduce the "jiggle".

Lawrence A. Osman, MD
Woodland Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Do you have loose skin?

+1
You can certainly try exercising and dieting however your thighs are probably affected by stored fat deposits that won't respond well to this. In addition, you may also be affected by loose skin. As a result, you may want to ask first if you have a lot of loose skin. If yes, then no form of liposuction will adequately address this. The fat may be eliminated, but you'll be left with more loose skin that will continue to make your thighs "jiggly". Loose skin can be removed with a thigh lift, which will also address unwanted fat. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Smart Lipo May be a Good Option

+1

Thank you for the question.  When determining a patient's candidacy for a Smart Lipo procedure, I find that the patients with the best results are those who do work out regularly but have a tough time working off those resistant fatty deposits.  These patients tend to have good muscle tone, it just happens to be under a tough layer of sub dermal fat.  A skilled plastic surgeon can use liposuction to properly carve out the layer of fat, thinning it out to show better muscle tone, but leaving the right amount behind so as not to have over correction.  Patients who choose Smart Lipo for the contouring of their trouble areas are generally pleased with their results, both from the liposuction and from the skin tightening effects.

It's also important to keep in mind that the Smart Lipo Laser Assisted Liposuction is another tool in your plastic surgeon's tool box to augment what should already be stellar body contouring skills.

Mytien Goldberg, MD

SmartLipo for thighs

+1

SmartLipo can decrease the thigh girth by reducing the amount of fat that envelopes the thigh muscles. "Jiggly" thighs can be a result of loose muscle tone or excessive fat overlaying toned muscles. before a patient decides to go thru the procedure it is important to understand and to clarify with your doctor what your main concern is. if its "jiggle" due to loss of muscle tone then its better to tone up the muscles with exercises and then seek another opinion for a possible SmartLipo. if the "Jiggle' is due to excessive fat that can be improved and then further skin tightening can be acheived with regular exercises

Misbah Khan, MD

Smart Lipo for Thighs

+1

Patients who have had a liposuction and need one or more isolated areas improved in a cost effective and convenient manner.

Patients who are younger and more active who desire to avoid the downtime of a traditional liposuction.

Patients who seek natural looking results from a local anesthesia procedure

Smartlipo is not designed for removal of large fatty deposits.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS