How Long Will I Have to Wear Compression Garment After Smart Lipo?

How long will I have to wear the surgical compression garment after Smart Lipo?  When do people usually switch to wearing Spanx instead?

Compression is good

I generally have my patients wear their garment for the first 2 weeks after surgery. Then I ask them to shop for some tight undergarments that will provide additional compression for another 4 weeks.

Even after the 6 weeks, once you stop wearing the garments, there are going to be good days and bad days as far as the swelling goes. It is not until about 4 months time that the swelling will stop waxing and waning.

Hope that helps.

Garments after liposuction

In general, I like to have patients wear compression for one month after liposuction. I use formal garments for at least the first 2 weeks and they can transition into other forms of compression after than. It is amazing how many patients ask for permission to go longer than a month because they like the feeling of support.

6 weeks in general

I ask my patients to wear a garment for 6 weeks after liposuction. I think it is part of doing the right thing. I noticed that patients who wear the garment, follow recommendation regarding working out and diet, end by having a great result.

Hisham Seify, MD, PhD, FACS

2 weeks wearing compression garments

LL, For most patients, I recommend compression garments for 2 weeks following Smartlipo or tumescent liposuction. However, there really is no long-term difference whether you wear the garment or not. The main effect is on the short-term swelling. I actually had liposuction myself and wore the garment for 1 week and I turned out just fine. Some patients end up wearing it for months just for comfort. Every patient is different and there really is no correct answer. Good luck with your surgery.

David Shafer, MD

Smartlipo garment

Smartlipo is no different from any other lipo in terms of post-op care. The garment is usually recommended to be worn for 3-6 weeks.  You then can change over to a less compressive garment if you prefer.

Liposuction and compression garments

Compression garments are important after liposuction. The length of time depends on the area of treatment and the looseness of your skin. 

Dr. Karamanoukian 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Compression garment

It all depends on your surgeon. Every surgeon has their own guidelines on garments after surgery, so please ask yours.

Compression garment after liposuction

You should ask your surgeon about this, however I generally recommend patients wear their compression garment day and night for 3 weeks then another 3 weeks during the day only

Wearing a Compression Garment after Liposuction

Each surgeon differs with their recommendation regarding compression garments.  I generally recommend that patients wear the compression garment for 4 weeks after surgery.  

It would be a good idea to speak with the surgeon whom you have chosen to do your procedure and see what he/she recommends.

Spanx

We all have different opinions as to how long the compressive garment should be worn. Obviously the longer the better but. most of my patients switch to spanx at about two weeks

David A. Bray, Sr., MD