Smart Lipo Safe to Remove Arm Fat?

I am 5'2" and I weigh 125 lbs. I have big arms for my size. I heard Smart Lipo is less invasive. But is it safe for the thin skin of the upper arms? If not, what kind of Liposuction procedure is best to remove upper arm fat?

Smart lipo for Arms?

+1

Yes it is safe, but the question is will it get you the results you desire.  It really gets to the heart of who is and who is not an appropriate candidate for smart lipo. The most important factor in assessing a candidate for Liposuction irrespective of whether it is traditional liposuction, liposculpture or smart Lipo is the quality of the skin.  If skin quality is not good, then removing fat will leave arms flabby and unattractive.  However, if the skin quality is good, and the fat is minimal, then smart Lipo may be an alternative treatment to traditional liposuction.  In the end, the most important thing is that you achieve the result that you have always wanted. The right procedure to achieve this result is a combination of a proper physical examination, good communication and an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.

I'm not that big a fan of liposuction in general for arms

+1

While liposuction of the arms can be good for selected individuals, in general the patients who have come to me have too much laxity for a good result to occur. In order for the areas to respond, the laxity has to be very minimal. If it isn't, the end result will just be sagging skin. In fact, the sagging may be more noticeable after the procedure.

As for SmartLipo, I am not sure that even that will help in this area if you aren't already a good candidate. I have performed several cases using SmartLipo on the arms and, carefully selected, patients love the results, but the key factor is carefully selecting patients. Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist

Smartlipo for arms

+1

Smartlipo is liposuction. It is no less invasive than any technique to perform liposuction.  It is a myth to think that it is less invasive. It can give similar results to other forms of liposuction.

SmartLipo for arms

+1

SmartLipo is just the newest generation of liposuction equipment. The level of "invasiveness" is basically the same.

It's hard to tell if you're a good candidate for arm liposuction without examining you in person. Having said that, as long as you don't have too much skin laxity, liposuction is a good option to decrease the bulk in the upper arms.

Good luck!

Dr. Singer

Elan B. Singer, MD

SmartLipo and Arm Fat

+1

I have found that laser assisted liposcultpure or liposuction (SmartLipo, ProLipo, etc) is excellent for most problems or arm fat, especially as you describe it in someone who is basically not obese but with localized problems.

The advantage is that not only is it more gentle, with less bruising, less bleeding, and less pain, there is a more rapid recovery. The laser, if properly used can also effectively help the skin to contract or "shrink down" to decrease the tendencey to sagging skin.

The procedure is done in an office surgical suite or ambulatory surgical center under local anesthesia (tumescent anesthesia) and mild sedation.

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon