Smart Lipo and VASER Lipo on Peri-menopausal Women

I have been researching Smart Lipo and VASER Liposelection. I have seen several complaints in message boards and forums with regard to weight gain in women who are peri-meopausal. Do these types of liposuction have a tendency to make peri-menopausal women gain weight? If so, is it distributed evenly through out the body or just to certain areas of the body?

Liposuction does not cause people to gain weight

+1

Liposuction does not cause people to gain weight.  Over eating and lack of exercise do.  Often times people have liposuction and then think they they cannot gain weight, so they eat whatever they want to stop exercising.  However, liposuction does prevent weight gain, it removes fat that is already there.  Good luck.

Weight gain probably not related to procedure or technique

+1

Hi there- I do not believe there is any reason to believe that liposuction using any technique or in any particular age group causes patients to gain weight. There are several possibilities that might explain the experiences of the patients you have encountered... The simplest is that liposuction can lead to significant swelling in the tissues, and this swelling can persist for several months, causing clothing to feel tight and detract from the outcome- making people feel they've gained weight. It is also possible that the discomfort of the recovery period lead to a diminished level of activity and weight gain. This should be very rare, though, because the body will actually be burning a larger number of calories after surgery than before (healing requires a lot of calories). I would add that I have never had a patient truly gain weight after a VASER procedure. I hope that helps you- Happy New Year!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS