Smart Lipo on Abs and Waist. Will It Cause Too Much Excess Skin?

How well does Smart Lipo work on the abdomen and waist areas? After the procedure, should I expect a lot of excess skin that has to be cut away? I weigh about 115 lbs. I am naturally thin everywhere except in those areas. I don't want to have to go through a Tummy tuck procedure although I was advised to get one for best results.

Before

+1

This is a hard question to answer without seeing you. You need to see a qualified smart lipo doctor. The pupose of the subcutaneous laser is to stimulate skin tightening. Sometimes you can't tell if skin resection is needed until after the fat is removed.

Liposuction for thin patients

+1

Liposuction for a thin patient is usually ideal for troubled areas. Without examining you, it would be difficult to tell.  If the skin is poor quality then I would say maybe.

Smart Lipo is a gimmick.

+1

To bobbie_d,

Hi! I agree with Dr. Rosenblatt. I don't know ANY board certified plastic surgeon experienced in liposuction who uses Smart Lipo.

From your description of yourself, you probably will do great with good tumescent liposuction using small cannulas. It sounds like you don't have excess skin now and it shouldn't be worse afterwards. In fact, SUPERFICIAL liposuction tightens the skin somewhat.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Go to a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for an exam

+1

If an ABPS surgeon has examined you and determined that you need a tummy tuck because of skin excess and or muscle laxity, you will almost certainly be unhappy with the results of any kind of liposuction because liposuction doesn't help with skin excess or muscle laxity. Remember that Smart lipo has not been shown scientifically to be any better than traditional lipo.

Richard P. Rand, MD, FACS

Just depends on loose the skin is at present

+1

It really depends how loose your skin is now. If you have already seen a plastic surgeon and he/she has recommended a Tummy Tuck, I would say that they already feel that your skin quality is loose. Liposuction can tighten the skin up to a very small extent.

Now as for your hip/waist area, generally liposuction is a good option and the skin in that area generally redrapes well.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Liposuction on abs and waist

+1

Liposuction will remove much of the excess fat in the area that you are having treated and the skin will contract some, but the amount of contraction is limited. It sounds like you must have some skin laxity since you state you have been recommended to have a tummy tuck. Smart lipo has been promoted to give more skin contraction but many people see this as more of a marketing ploy as any difference from tumescent liposuction has been hard to prove. If you really want to get rid of the fat and really do not want a tummy tuck there is nothing wrong with going ahead with liposuction to see how much skin contraction you get and what the results are. You can always go ahead with a tummy tuck later if the skin is too loose for the result that you want. If that is not a risk that you are willing to take you should either go ahead with the tummy tuck or not do anything at this time.

Gary Hall, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Smart Lipo is all marketing

+1

If you were advised to have a tummy tuck, then you are just wasting your money by doing a "smart lipo". If you have had children, have a poochy stomach and excess fat in the love handles, a tummy tuck where the excess skin is removed, the stretched out rectus muscles are corrected, and excess love handle fat can be removed is the proper treatment.

"Smart lipo" is supposed to tighten the skin -- but it will not tighten stretched out muscles. Any form of liposuction efficiently removes excess fat, but without any further information, I would say that a tummy tuck is better for you.

William B. Rosenblatt, MD