Skin Hurts to Touch After Smart Lipo

I had Smart Lipo on Feb. 9th on my upper and lower abs, and my skin still HURTS to touch it. Is this normal, and is there anything I can do to help it?

Skin pain after lipo

+1

Although SmartLipo is relatively non-invasive compared to other cosmetic procedures plastic surgeons perform, it is still trauma to the body. No matter what type of liposuction is used, the small nerves that are just under and contained within the overlying skin are injured. Sometimes, these nerves can take a while to recover and pain is associated with the healing process. While pain 6 months after liposuction is rare, it does happen. Unfortunately there is nothing you can do to speed up the process--your body just has to heal itself. Don't get discouraged though, your pain should slowly subside over the next few months, but I would encourage you to visit your surgeon often so he/she can keep tabs on you and guide you through the healing process. Good luck!

Dr. Singer