Smart Lipo for Ab Sculpting

I'm a thin person, when I flex my upper abdomen I can see my abs showing through, but not in my lower abdomen (there's some excess fat there). What's your thoughts on someone who would like to use smart lipo to get rid of the fat so that the ab muscles show?

At my consultation the doctor said that since I'm so thin I'd probably have "washboard abs" after the procedure. I'm just sick of working out and having that stubborn lower abdomen fat, but I'd probably get the upper done as well.

Abdominal Etching with Smartlipo

+1

Having a six-pack or 'washboard' abs is a reflection of showing the vertical rectus muscles and its various horizontal inscriptions. Take a careful look at a good anatomy text and you will see that there are no inscriptions of the rectus muscle below the belly button in most people. So while horizontal etching can be done with Smartlipo, it is an unnatural look to have low horizontal skin indentations. (fake inscriptions) I would just have the lower abdominal area treated by Smartlipo and settle for having a flatter lower abdominal area.

Liposuction in thin individuals

+1

Be careful of over aggressive liposuction to thin out the skin and fat too much to show the abdominal muscles. Some patients have developed an unusual circulation of blood flow in the skin over the stomach muscles from oversculpting. It is important to leave some fat in the subcutaneous plane for a cushion. Conservative liposuction or Zeltiq coolsculpting might provide a good result.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Washboard abs after liposuction

+1

Although attempts can be made to give the illusion of a washboard abdominal physique, it may not be realistically achieved from liposuction. 

Smart Lipo for Ab Sculpting

+1

It is possible to obtain the result you desire. But no boarded surgeon would promise you that "perfect" result. Be careful out there. And be realistic too. From MIAMI Dr. Darryl J. Blinski, 305 598 0091

Washboard abs after lipo are probably unreasonable to expect

+1

While many folks have washboard abs, liposuction is a tough way to get them.  Additionally, the trauma necessary to get the liposuction material can cause redness and veins that make the skin look odd.  While I see many folks who obtain great looking abs after liposuction, that is not the typical 'best case' candidate that we see.  I would recommend you seek another opinion first.  Good luck.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist