Small, Hard Bump on Side of Nostril That Bleeds when I Scratch at It?

I have a small, hard flesh-coloured bump on the side of my nostril that has been growing for 3 years slowly but steadily. It is still only a couple of mm across, but is definitely increasing in size gradually. When I try to scrape it off, it bleeds a lot and then scabs over, but it always grows back. I would like to get rid of it. Does this seem like angiofibroma? Can I treat it with a Co2 laser? How do I go about finding a doctor, and what should I expect for pricing for this procedure? Thanks.

Growing and bleeding bump on nostril

The lesion you are describing could be a benign angiofibroma, or a skin cancer called basal cell cancer. Both are common on the nose, and both can bleed. Very important to get a proper diagnosis by a skin expert, a dermatologist. Then a treatment plan can be developed for you. Don't treat a lesion unless you have a guaranteed diagnosis.

Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Slow growing lesion bump on side of the nose

slow growing is a good sign. bleeding is not as good. I would have someone look at it like a dermatologist or facial plastic surgeon and it could need a biopsy. This should be covered by insurance.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bump on thr nose

Any new lesion, or spot that has changed, is itching, growing, bleeding, etc., should be examined by a board certified dermatologist.  

Donna Bilu Martin, MD
Aventura Dermatologist

Bleeding, Enlarging Lesion on the Nose

You should see a dermatologist to have the lesion evaluated and likely removed or biopsied. An enlarging, bleeding, flesh-colored papule on the nose is very suspicious for a basal cell carcinoma. 

Best option is to see a board-certified dermatologist for evaluation and likely biopsy. Good luck. 

Andrew Kaufman, MD

Causes for bleeding bumps on the nostril

There are many benign as well as malignant growths that can cause bleeding bumps on the nostril. The good news is that they can usually be easily removed by using a "shave excision" method. The bump is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin and leaves a minimal scar. The procedure typically takes less than a minute and is fairly painless. It is also usually covered by insurance. I would NOT recommend treatment with a laser. I would recommend having this treatment done by a board certified dermatologist, as plastic surgeons rarely do shave excisions.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Consult a dermatologist for the bump on your nose.

The bump on your nose must be examined by a dermatologist who would most likely remove it surgically and send it for analysis.  Avoid laser removal which destroys the tissue and prevents a diagnosis.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Persistent Bleeding Growth on the Nose

I would agree that a biopsy should first be performed.  Once you know what you have, then you can determine the best treatment.  In your case, if the biopsy in not malignant, the biopsy with light cautery may be curative.

Jay S. Gottlieb, DO
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologist

Bleeding lesion

Any new lesion that does not disappear in 6 weeks should be examined by a plastic surgeon or dermatologist.

Your bleeding lesion should be seen and examined by a plastic surgeon or  a dermatologist.

Any lesion on the skin that bleed or increase in size or change in color should be examined.

Make an appointment with a dermatologist

There are many, many things this could be. It can be quite easily removed with a shave excision and then sent to a lab to confirm what it is. I would absolutely not recommend treating it with any type of laser, because doing that destroys the tissue site and there is no way to tell what it is, if it will return, and if it is potentially dangerous. Seek a board-certified dermatologist for a shave removal which should cost you a few hundred dollars.