Smaller Waistline Through Liposuction?

I am very close to making a decision on getting breast implants and while I was told this will make my waist appear smaller, I actually would like to have a smaller waist, so that my figure looks more like an hourglass. There's actually not much to remove from my waist, but can I have Liposuction to make it actually smaller, not just make it appear that way? If not, what are my options to achieve this?

Smaller waistline

+5

I discourage patients from getting breast implants just to have their waist look smaller. Large breast implants can sometimes have the opposite effect of making people look heavier!

In young mothers who notice they have lost their waist, they are quick to blame baby fat for the problem. Often, though, the problem is both a little bit of fat but also the deep tissue (fascia) that has ripped, making the waist wide. Also, the stretched skin can pool around the waist, hiding the thin waist silhouette.

In perimenopausal women, a widening of the fascia occurs, causing the waist to become straight. It is a disturbing finding for many women who are otherwise in excellent physical shape. Again, tightening of the fascia via a tummy tuck can do wonders.

Your plastic surgeon can discuss the options with you, including various tummy tuck procedures to tighten the fascia or the loose abdominal skin, if indeed that is the reason for the wide waist.

The best results are achieved by a combination of breast augmentation and liposuction!!

+2

Thank you for your great question? It is all about you and your proportions. Breast augmentation will improve your figure by enhancing the breasts and may give the illusion that your waist appears smaller.

The best results are achieved by a combination of breast augmentation and liposuction in order to improve the breast’s size and shape and to sculpt an improved waistline and torso. VASER® ultrasound assisted liposuction is my method of choice. I have found it very effective in shaping the torso in the posterior trunk, waistline, and anterior abdomen.

It is important that you see a board certified plastic surgeon that is experienced in body contouring surgery and breast augmentation procedures to discuss the various options and alternatives of surgery as it applies to you. In general, outstanding results can be achieved with breast augmentation and liposuction.

Stephen A. Goldstein, MD
Englewood Plastic Surgeon

Yes, you will have a smaller waist

+2

Liposuction removes fat from whichever area the procedure is performed on.

So if the procedure was done on your waist, it will be smaller. However, as you said there is not much there to begin with, you have to weigh the value of doing the procedure at all, in a case like yours. Talk it over with your surgeon for advice.

Darrick E. Antell, MD

Liposuction will not give you an hourgalss figure

+2

While it seems reasonable that breast implants may produce an overall imp[rovement in body shape by changing the proportions and perceptions of proportions of your torso, if "there is not much to remove" from your waist, I doubt if liposuction will dramatically change your figure to an 'hourglass" one but only a surgeon who can examine you in person can determine that.

Robin T.W. Yuan, MD

Liposuction can help

+1
If you have fat deposits in your mid section that are preventing you from having the hourglass shape you want, then liposuction may be able to remove them. Please see a board certified, experienced plastic surgeon for a better assessment of your concern.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Smaller Waistline...?!

+1

The answer to a smaller waistline and or to proportion your figure would be through liposuction. Liposuction is a surgical technique that plastic surgeons have used since the 1970’s to remove local, unwanted fat deposits. The most commonly addressed areas of the body are the abdomen, flank, back, chin/neck, arms, thighs, and legs. Using a cannula (a long, hollow, metal instrument) and rubber tubing under negative-pressure, the surgeon removes the unsightly fat, permanently improving the over-all contour of the body. Because liposuction is not a weight-loss technique, but rather a body-sculpting or body-contouring technique, the best candidates for liposuction are those that are near their ideal body weight, have good skin quality, and have specific areas of fat that are resistant to diet and exercise. Consult with a board certified plastic surgeon who is experienced in liposuction for best results.

Jaime Perez, MD

Hourglass Figure?

+1

The operation that is “best"  for you will be  based on your exact goals and physical examination. For example, “seeking a hourglass figure” may mean different things to different people;  communication with your plastic surgeon in person is critical. If there is a failure to communicate exactly your goals are there is a high likelihood that you will be disappointed with the results of surgery. Some patients may achieve the results with liposuction surgery,  some patients may require an extended tummy tuck to achieve their goals.

I would suggest consultation with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon.

Liposuction and waistline

+1

Liposcution is a good procedure to remove excess fatty deposits from stubborn areas. However, if your are thin and do not have any significant fat to remove, then it is unlikley that the liposcution will narrow your waist. Remember that your waisltine is also determined by your underlying bony and muscular anatomy. Your pelvic bones determine for them ost part your natural waistline. Breast implants are good way to emphasize an hourglass figure in someone who is relatively narrow on top and wider on the bottom.

Liposuction can improve your waistline

+1

If there is enough fat to remove to make the surgical risks worthwhile, and there is no medical or surgical reason for not doing it, then you would be a candidate. Usually, the surgeon needs to be able to pinch a minimum of a little less than an inch of fat between two fingers to consider a patient a candidate.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Achieving an Hourglass Figure

+1

It is impossible to know the ideal procedure for you without an evaluation. For many women the waist can expand following pregnancies and a tummy tuck with an "internal corset" can provide a slimmer waist and an hourglass figure.

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles - the medical term for which is diastasis.

The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process. Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape.

For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon