Do Smaller Incisions Make a Big Difference in Chin Liposuction?

How do smaller incisions affect results and healing?

Small incision for neck lipo

+1

Smaller incision are the norm not the exception when it comes to pipo alone. It is normal for the colors of bruises to change as they heal. Its always best to have the strap on to reduce fluid accumulation. Swelling can remain for many months and the skin softens over time as well. Massage can also be helpful. Every plastic surgeon is just a bit different in terms of their post op protocol so make sure to check with your plastic surgeon before intialting any reatment recommendations from this post.

Incisions for chin Liposuction?

+1

Incisions used for chin liposuction are generally placed below the chin and/or below the ear lobes. These incisions should be kept as small as possible (1-2 mm).  I prefer to close all incision lines because I think this “closed technique” allows for better scars.

Chin liposuction incision

+1
There is one incision for most patients which is about 3/4 inch long through which the entire procedure can be performed. The incision is hidden under the chin and heals so as to be almost invisible. This is a delicate procedure using smaller cannulas than for an abdominal liposuction and is also shorter in duration-generally about 1/2 hour. Patients can return to work within a few days and, particularly in winter, camouflage the initial bruising with scarves or turtlenecks. The result should be a more defined, aesthetically pleasing chin line.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Huge difference.

+1

The smaller the incision, the smaller the cannula used to remove the subcutaneous fat.  The smaller the cannula the less trauma to the underlying tissue.  I use microcannulas.  They have a size that is about that of an 18 gauge needle.  Only a 1.5 millimeter nick in the skin is needed to insert the cannula.  These small cannulas are much less traumatic than the larger cannulas which can be as large as 4 to 6 mm in diameter.  Injury of the mandibular branch of the facial nerve is reported in association with use of the larger cannulas causing a weakness to the mouth.  This type of injury is not associated with the microcannulas.  Also, lower face and neck liposuction with microcannulas is so comfortable that the surgery can be performed under local anesthesia.  Many patients have this on a friday and are back to work on Monday.  Dermatologists who perform tumescent liposuction generally offer neck liposuction this way.

Incision size for liposuction of the neck.

+1

Typically the incision for Liposuction of the neck is a few millimeters only. There is an old saying that surgical wounds heal from side to side not end to end. Having said that a small scar / incision for a cosmetic procedure is preferable.

Jay M. Pensler, MD