Can I Get Smaller Implants Less Than 2 Weeks Post-Op? (photo)

I understand that implants swell and take time to drop & fluff, but I want them smaller NOW. I realized that all of my "want/like" example photos had under 350cc in them and I have 350cc and 400cc in me. I wanted to be an overflowing B, decent C and now I'm terrified I will have D or DD. I know my skin is getting stretched & I want to go smaller before it's too late so they don't look saggy with smaller implants. This is exactly what I didn't want & I felt like I had great communication.

Can I Get Smaller Implants

+2

From the photos you have enclosed it looks to me like your final result will be exactly what your "like" pictures portray. Your skin will not be stretched if you wait. I would wait an absolute minimum of 3-4 months. Six months would be better. You can't pick an implant size based on a picture. You find a picture you like, pay no attention to the cc's, show the picture to your surgeon and let him figure out what size implant it takes to get you that look. I think your doctor has succeeded in that.

It's Wiser to be Patient 2 Weeks Post-Op

+2

You do look an awful lot like the pictures you wanted to look like.

Try hard to be patient: you will likely be rewarded by realizing replacement isn't necessary.

• Your breasts look bigger now, because
    • Yes, you are swollen and
    • You need time to get accustomed to the change
  • Your writing: "but I want them smaller NOW" would indicate:
    • you might be so fearful that you are over-reacting: don't panic!
    • You also wrote: "I felt like I had great communication"
      • for now, trust your judgment and your surgeon
  • "I know my skin is getting stretched & I want to go smaller before it's too late so they don't look saggy with smaller implants."
    • if you do decide to go with smaller implants in the next  few months, your breasts will almost certainly adapt well without getting over stretched and saggy.

Give yourself about 2 months and re-evaluate.

Paul C. Zwiebel, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation - Time needed for final results

+1

This is not the time to make a decision. In the first several weeks there is edema, fluid in the pocket, and if under the muscle time needed for the muscle to relax. From the "want to be" photos you provided you may be a lot closer than you think when all settles down. I would strongly recommend that you wait and have regular follow up visits with your plastic surgeon.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

Best to wait 3-6 months after augmentation before thinking about size change

+1

Thank you for your question.  I agree that you should wait at least 3 months before deciding on size and 6-9 months is even better.  I find that people who were concerned pre-operatively about being too large sometimes have a hard time in the early postoperative period.  The patient is concerned about being too large and, of course, during the first few weeks after surgery in when the breasts are the largest, because of the normal post-operative swelling.  This swelling is significantly better at 3 weeks, 6 weeks and then at 3 months.  This is why 3 months is the absolute minimum.  Based on the photos you provided, it looks like you will be very close to that size.  During this time while you are waiting, your skin will not stretch too much.  If you ultimately change to a smaller size, the skin should snap back.  Hope this helps.

Tracy M. Pfeifer, MD, MS

Tracy Pfeifer, MD

Breast augmentation

+1

It is too early to say what your final result will be. But in general, it is best to give it a few months for the implants to settle and for the swelling to subside.

Getting Smaller Implants 2 Weeks Out from Surgery

+1

First of all, it is much, much to early to determine your final results. You still have a lot of swelling. I would not recommend changing implants out until your six months from your original surgical date. 

Jeffrey Hartog, MD

Get Smaller Breast Implants?

+1

It is much too early to evaluate and results of surgery at this point. You will find that your breasts will change significantly over the course of the next few months.

I suggest to all my patients that they concentrate on achieving a certain “look”, not a specific cup size, with their breast augmentation surgery.  In other words, my patients know not to base their communication and/or level of satisfaction with the results of surgery based on an arbitrary cup size that will vary from one bra store to another. 

After you have waited a few months to see the final results of surgery,  don't be surprised if you are pleased with the results of surgery (regardless of cup size).  If not, communicate your questions and concerns calmly with your plastic surgeon.  You will find that waiting a few months will not necessarily cause your breasts to appear “saggy"  with smaller implants.

Smaller implants now or later

+1

It is probably better for you to wait several months before exchanging implants because many patients change their mind over that time.  If you are certain you want smaller implants you should discuss with your surgeon returning to the operating room sooner.

David Stoker, MD

You need to wait

+1

You are too early post surgery to discuss going smaller. You have fair amount of swelling. If you are not happy after 3 months,then you need to discuss this with your surgeon. Your breast tissue will not over stretched.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast Implant Revision

+1

My suggestion would be to wait several months before deciding to exchange the implants.  It is important to give time for the swelling to resolve and the implants to settle.  

Good Luck.

David Shafer, MD