Can I Go with Smaller Implants Now That I'm Getting a Lift?

A while back I posted a question about using small implants (180 to 200cc) to lift my sagging breasts and most of the doctor responses were "implants alone would not lift saggy boobs." Now, my doctor will do a benelli lift in addition to my implants. I'm already a full B and don't want to be too much bigger. I still want 200 or 213cc, but my doctor suggested 234 mod+. Now that I'm doing a lift, I feel confident that 200/213 will give me the results I want. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Implant size when accompanied by a breast lift

+2

It sounds like you have a very clear idea of your goal.  If the reason for the larger implant was to try to lift the breast, then that reason no longer applies.  Smaller implants, to help shape the breast, work great in the patient who does not want much enlargement of the breast.

+2

The advantage of the Benelli lift is less scaring, but it has several disadvantages. The most significant disadvantage is long term deformity of the areolas and flattening of the breasts. The larger the implant you chose the bigger the risk. The degree of ptosis correction is also limited with that technique. I prefer a vertical lift with a 200 cc augmentation. I will put a photo on my profile to show you.

Farhad Rafizadeh, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Implant size and Benelli breast lift

+2

Although it is difficult to suggest an implant size without examining you, the difference between a 200-213 cc implant and a 234 cc implant is relatively small.  I believe you probably could have a good result with the smaller implant.  Having the Benelli breast lift at the same time should help reduce the sagginess as well.

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Breast implant and breast lift

+2

It is difficult to know what is the right for you without examining you or seeing any photos. In general, more patients say they wish they had a slightly bigger implant, say one year down the line, than the other way round. On the other hand, you seem to have a very clear idea about what you want. I think a surgeon's role is to suggest what s/he thinks is the best option for the patient, but at the end of the day, that is only a suggestion, not a decree. So I do not think your surgeon will refuse to insert a slightly smaller implant, if that's what you want.

Anindya Lahiri, MBBS
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Lift and smaller implants

+2

It is difficult to evaluate you without photos, however in general a lift does not increase your breast volume.  A 20 cc difference in implant size is minicule so I wouldn't worry about that.  Sometimes an implant will fill you out and lift you up without needing an implant depending on your areolar level.

David Nicholas Csikai, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

Small breast implants and a Benelli breast lift are a very good combination.

+2

Of course everything ultimately depends on the details of your own personal anatomy, but we do a lot of combination minimal scar breast lift (circular scar around the nipples) and small breast implants.  Usually about 200 cc's.  And most patients are very happy.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Can I go with smaller implants now that I am getting a lift

+2
It is possible that you can, and it is possible that you may not want to. If you chose your implant size by trying them on in a bra, be aware that the implants will look smaller in you than they looked ON you in a bra. Nevertheless, if you are looking for more fullness in shape with less volume increase, a smaller implant may be what you are desiring. One other important factor to consider...a benelli lift is not a strong skin tightening lift. So, if you have some skin laxity in addition to a low nipple, the benelli lift might require the "help" of more implant volume to fill out the skin well. Therefore, you could agree with the surgeon to place a 200cc or 213cc implant if it fills out the skin well, but give them permission to go with the larger 234cc implant if smaller would leave the breast with some skin laxity.

Robert M. Grenley, MD

+2

Dear MissL,

It is difficult to answer your question without any photos or an examination. In general, sagging breasts require a lift, and small breasts require augmentation. For many women who have had kids, both a lift and augmentation are necessary because the breasts are deflated (ie. small and droopy). In selected circumstances, women with deflated breasts and only a small amount of sagging may be candidates for breast implants alone, which can provide a small amount of lift.

The Benelli lift can help lift mild to moderately drooping breasts with limited scars. Combining this with an implant can be a good technique for women desire a lift and increase in breast size. If you do not desire an increase in breast size, then an implant is not necessary.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

It's a fallacy that larger implants give you more lift. If you need a lift, have a proper vertical lift.

+1

First of all, the Benelli lift is ineffective and tends to produce distorted areolae without much improvement in breast sagging.  If you need a lift, you need a vertical ("lollipop") lift.

Yes, if you are having an effective breast lift procedure, and your goal is more perkiness but not much increase in size, you don't need large implants.  Probably something around 300 cc would work.  This is a little more than you thought.  The reason is there is some tissue loss from the lower pole of your breast with a vertical lift.  Have a look at before and after photos of the vertical augmentatioin/mastopexy (I've attached a link).  If you like, have a look at some showing the Benelli as well, if you can find them.

Eric Swanson, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift procedures improve breast shape, most of the time

+1

The Benelli 'lift' is more of an areolar reduction procedure than a breast lift - at least in my hands. It tends to flatten the front of the breast and 'blunt' any projection the breast might have. I prefer vertical breast lift and implant combinations in most cases.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS