Will Smaller Breast Implants Change the Shape of my Breasts?

I am 5'5" 140 lbs /630ccs high profile saline implants under the muscle. Before BA I was a 34A, now 36D . It is 2 years since my BA and I am finding that my implants are somewhat uncomfortable. I am also not pleased with the look. They seem very wide and there is a lot of space underneath the nipple. While the implants are large, I do not have much cleavage at all, I still need to wear a push up bra. How will the shape of my breasts be affected if I were to go one cup size smaller?

Smaller implants changing breast shape?

+1
It's really not possible to answer your questions without some photos.  Can you post your before and after photos?

Since you implants are saline, you may benefit from having your implants deflated prior to downsizing.  By deflating your implants and waiting a month or two, your surgeon will be able to get a more accurate assessment of your breast shape and size and cleavage situation. You may find that you are better served with a medium or low profile implant that has a wider base and may give you more cleavage. 

Smaller implant possibility

+1

Without an exam it is difficult to appreciate what the result would be.  Smaller implants would promote less cleavage.

Achieving Desired Results with Revisionary Breast Surgery?

+1

Despite your good description of your current situation, it is not possible to give you good advice without direct examination or viewing pictures.  I think it will be in your best interests to meet with board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the type of result that you wish to achieve.

During this consultation process, communicate your goals clearly. In my practice, I prefer the use of goal pictures to help with this communication process.

Smaller implants with a breast lift will change the shape of your breasts

+1

One of the downsides to having large breast implants placed in a patient with small breasts is that there is a significant amount of skin stretching that occurs once the implants are placed. If you decide to decrease the size of your implants it is very likely that the stretched skin will not retract as much as you would like. A loose skin "envelope" will give your breasts a saggy appearance despite having the implants in place. The best way to combat this is to perform some degree of a breast lifting procedure with the exchange of implants.

David P. Stapenhorst, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Correcting breast shape malposition

+1

From your description it sounds like your breasts have bottomed out and have drifted of laterally.  The biggest problem with large breast implants is that time weight and gravity are not on your side.  You have several surgical options depending upon your shape and the quality of your breast tissue.   Going to a smaller breast implant size that matches your body dimensions is only the first step.  The next step is to have the implant centered directly behind your nipple.  This may require closing down your existing breast implant capsule and the possible use of a material such as Strattice.  Strattice is an acellular dermal matrix derived from pig dermis.  It can be used to straddle the implant like a hammock and keep it in the correct position.   A consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon is needed to determine your best surgical options.   

Large implants,unpleasant look

+1

I believe that going from a cup A to a D is to much and if you are only 140 lbs even worse.The implants are to large,and going down will correct the appereance,your discomfort,but also may give you extra skin,that may need to be taken care of as well.Even though it is the way to go.Good Luck.Dr Rosendo Martinez,FACS

Rosendo Martinez, MD
Puerto Rico Plastic Surgeon

Big implants sometime mean big problems

+1

I think your implants are big and are probably causing the cosmetic issues that you dislike. Consider downsizing them substantially. Good luck !

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Exchanging to smaller implants

+1

If you are uncomfortable with your implants, it is a good idea to go smaller. You may want to consider silicine implants which makes the breasts feel softer. To increase the clevage, the pocket needs to be disssected more medially and suppoted laterally. 

Raj Chowdary, MD
Allentown Plastic Surgeon