Small, Thin Lips

My lips are very thin, and my top lip is almost nonexistent. My top lip is also rather pointed at the top, and seems to curl under on one side too. What would be the best way to plump my lips up and give them a more feminine, rounded appearance?

Options for small, thin lips

+1

Thank you for your photo.  In the face it is a good idea to start with something non permanent.  The soft and hard tissue of the face will change with time.  We usually start out with a hyaluronic acid based filler, (i.e.; juvederm, restylane).  It looks like you may benefit from some volume in the upper lip.  Best to see a few experienced injectors and see what they offer.  It can look natural and get the volume that you want.

Permanent Options for thin lips

+1

You can choose either a lip implant or a surgical lip lift.

If you choose a "permanent" implant, there are numerous substances that I commonly use as a graft or implant material in the lips. Each option has its own advantages and disadvantages.

• AlloDerm is a popular human-donor grafting material that is FDA approved and proven safe in lip augmentation and facial reconstruction. Under a local anesthesia, the material is inserted through tiny incisions made in the inside corners of the mouth. Delicate absorbable stitches that dissolve are used. The material is often absorbed, so that the results are only temporary, lasting from 12-18 months. This procedure takes about 15 minutes in the office under local anesthesia.
  • Advanta and Gore-Tex have been shown to produce reliable and predictable results with few complications. These materials do not shrink and are never absorbed into the body making the procedure permanent. It also remains in place because scar tissue forms on both ends holding it in place. To insert Advanta and Gore-Tex, a small incision is made in the inside of the lip. The material is then made into the shape of a small tube and it is inserted with a needle.
  • Fat grafting produces lasting results in most of the people who try it. Although it is possible that the body will reabsorb it, many people choose fat grafting because they are most comfortable with using the fat from their own body to enhance their lips. The fat is harvested from another area of the body, often the abdomen. It is then prepared and inserted with a needle into the lip from more than one point.
  • SurgiSil is new to the market but promises a safe, definitive solution for permanent tissue augmentation.Surgisil is a patented, FDA approved device designed for tissue augmentation of the lips and has undergone extensive clinical testing to ensure its safety and efficacy. It is made of a soft, solid silicone elastomer using an injection molding process to produce a naturally contoured implant with a smooth, non-porous surface. The implant cannot rupture or deflate, and may be removed at any time. I have see great results with this product.

If you opt for Lip Augmentation through a Surgical Solution, you will certainly have a permanent result.

• Surgical enhancement of the lips provides a permanent alternative to injections and implants.
  • Surgical enhancement usually takes less than one hour to perform in office under local anesthesia.
  • Careful and fine incisions are created to shape the lips into their desired shape and form.
  • Direct Lip Lifting creates a fuller upper and/or lower lip with imperceptible incisions. This precise procedure allows the patient to state just how full you want your lip and that is where I can place the new lip line.
  • As the lip ages, the corner of the mouth tends to droop. Other procedures such as the Corner of the Lip Lift enable the lip to be reshaped so that the frown can be improved and a youthful upturned lip can be achieved.
  • Local flaps bring material from inside the mouth outside to enhance the lips. Results are permanent. An incision may be made inside the mouth to push the tissue inside the mouth upward, and outward, into the lip, sometimes in conjunction with grafting. Or, an incision may be along the upper lip line. In this case, skin above the lip is removed, and the lip is then stitched along the line of the incision.

Being specific with the result that you are hoping for and consult with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon to determine what technique will be best for you.

Best of Luck!

Dr. Clevens

Ross A. Clevens, MD
Melbourne Facial Plastic Surgeon

Filler can balance lip asymmetry

+1

Your lips are very well-shaped, and the upper and lower lip are well-balanced.  You have a nice cupid's bow shape to your upper lip - a sign of youth.  Your lateral left upper lip is smaller than your right and this asymmetry could be corrected with a filler such as juvederm.

Melissa Chiang, MD
Houston Dermatologist

Fort Lauderdale Lip Augmentation

+1

Juvederm continues to be my go-to for filling lips such as yours. It's a beautiful, smoothe filler to create an enhancement unplagued by the feeling of firm nodules & asymmetries.

Will Richardson, MD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Thin lips do beautifully when artfully augmented.

+1

Thin lips do beautifully when artfully augmented with Restylane or Juvederm.  The beauty of these products is the versatility and the total reversibility if you are not happy.  Be certain that you see an experience cosmetic specialist who is a real artist when it comes to lip augmentation.  Ask to see a lot of photos of patients who have lips just like you.  

Mark Taylor, MD
Salt Lake City Dermatologic Surgeon

Hyaluronic Acid Fillers Best Option for Lip Augmentation

+1

Hyaluronic acid fillers are really the best option for lip augmentation. Any other options can lead to lumps and bumps. Fat is not predictable due to the movement of the mouth and lips.

Timothy Jochen, MD
Palm Springs Dermatologic Surgeon

Improving thin lips...

+1

Juvederm is normally used to "plump" up your lips and can last approximately six months.  It gives a natural appearance and is easy to go through.  Silcone can also be used, however you will need multiple sessions to achieve the look you want, because only a little at a time can be injected.  After you achieve a nice result with silicone, the result can be permanent.  Make an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Andrew Miller, MD
Edison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm or Restylane are good fillers for lip augmentation

+1
Juvederm or Restylane are both great hyaluronic acid fillers and used properly add nice volume to the lips. It is important not to over fill your lips so that they retain a nice natural appearance. Your lower lip is full and a small amount of filler in the upper lip and border would be recommended for a balanced look. Best regards!

Michael Elam, MD

Alloderm is the gold standard for lip augmentation

+1

I have used all sorts of fillers and implants for lip augmentation for over 20 years and IMHO, your upper lip is quite thin.  IMO, Alloderm implants are the gold standard in lip augmentation for soft and natural appearing lips.  You can always use Restylane or Juvederm as temporary lip fillers.

Thin lips in a young woman.

+1
Your lips look natural and full. Please leave them alone. I treat so many womenin Beverly Hills who have overdone lips. They tell me they told the doctor they only wanted them "a little fuller". Smile and enjoy your lips.