Small Tear in Scar from Breast Reduction? (photo)

I started noticing a really sharp pain in the vertical scar on my right breast and I have a small tear just above it. Will it heal on its own or will I need new stitches or something else to help it heal?

Incision Line Opening after Breast Reduction?

+1

Incision line opening and or wound healing problems are complications seen occasionally after breast reduction surgery. For the vast majority of patients who experience these types of complications, their wounds go on to heal with dressing changes,  over the course of a few weeks. Occasionally, some patients require  surgical intervention,  such as debridement and/or wound closure.
 Most importantly, I would suggest that you  continue to follow up closely with your plastic surgeon who is in the best position to evaluate your situation and treat any issues that may prevent rapid wound healing. For example, unhealthy tissue may need to be debrided  and/or exposed sutures may need to be removed to allow for unimpeded wound healing.
 Again, generally speaking, the vast majority of patients who experience these types of complications go on to heal without sequelae. Occasionally, scar revision surgery may be necessary in the longer term.

Small wound breakdown after breast reduction

+1

With my techno savvy patients, they usually just send a photo like that for me so they do not necessarily have to take time out of their day to see me.  I would at least inform your plastic surgeon about what has happened, so that he or she can make the decision if a minor needs to be done in the office.  This will more than likely heal, but should still be evaluated by your PS.

Robert Kratschmer, MD

Some delayed healing after breast reduction is not unusual.

+1

Hi.

Just going by your picture, I think this wound will heal on its own.  Recommend Silvadene cream applications twice a day to prevent infection.  But ask your surgeon.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Wound tear after breast reduction

+1
I would like to know how long after surgery the dehiscence occurred. If you have recently undergone surgery, the wound should go on to heal on its own. It does need to be monitored for potential infection and may require wound care. You should see your plastic surgeon in followup. I would not recommend resuturing the wound as this can increase the potential for infection. Your doctor will be able to recommend local care and dressing changes per his own postop protocol.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Tear after surgery

+1

Usually openings like this heal on their own; they just take a little longer. You should let your surgeon know as he or she is in the best position to advise you as to the proper care of the wound.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Small Tear in Scar from Breast Reduction?

+1

How long after breast surgery did this occur? It should re epitheliaize over the next 2 weeks with proper wound care. Best to call and see your surgeon. 

Breasts after surgery

+1

Based solely on the photo, these small separations usually go on to heal by themselves.  Follow closely with your surgeon.