Small Spots of Blood Sometimes in Tissue when Blowing 10 Weeks After Rhinoplasty?

Hi, I had rhinoplasty (open) with some bone work on the ridge too about 10 weeks ago and I sometimes get a few small spots of blood when I blow my nose in the tissue, same when I clean around the edge with a Q-tip. Its not always maybe 50% of the time. Is this small spot bleeding normal after 10 weeks, should I be concerned? I have not had any nose bleeds or bumped my nose either. Thanks

Fragile internal nasal mucosa

+1

Thank you for the question.  It is possible that the mucosa (internal nasal lining) is not back up to its normal strength.  If the mucosa is still a little fragile some of the capillaries (blood vessels) on its surface might break when you blow your nose.  I would try an be gentle about blowing your nose and give everything more time.

Dr. Remus Repta

Blowing Nose and Bleeding 10 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

In general, a small amount of periodic bleeding is not uncommon.  I would have an exam to determine if anything else is occurring just to be complete.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Bleeding spots after rhinoplasty

+1

Healing after rhinoplasty is a long process, especially if septoplasty is performed during rhinoplasty surgery. It takes moths for the nose to gain its function and shape. Occasional spots of blood while blowing your nose is not unusual. Keep the nasal cavity moist by spraying saline solution. I would recommend you to follow up with your surgeon for better evaluation. Good luck with healing.

Kevin Sadati, DO

Bleeding following rhinoplasty

+1

This is not uncommon, but I would recommend speaking with your physician regarding any concerns following surgery. I hope this helps, and best of luck with the remainder of your healing. 

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1

It is not uncommon ot have some bleeding after a rhinoplasty that may persist for several weeks after surgery.

Light bleeding after rhinoplasty

+1

This is common and will subside with time. The rhinoplasty surgery is quite extensive and often involves septal surgery. As it heals, the incisions inside the nose often release a small amount of blood.

Andres Bustillo, MD, FACS
Miami Facial Plastic Surgeon