Small Revision After Full Tummy Tuck with Lipo of Flanks?

Hello. I had a Full Tummy Tuck with Liposuction done in January 2012. Non-smoker, size 0/2. I had a complication of fatty necrosis around the vertical incision that was placed to close me. There is now enough skin to completely get rid of the vertical scar and pull the skin down to match the healed incision. My big questions are 1. What are my chances of developing necrosis again? 2. What should I expect? I do trust and admire my surgeon, but extra information is always appreciated. Thank you!

The chance of necrosis should be less

+1

Thank you for the question.  Theoretically the chance of necrosis the second time around is much less since no additional blood supply is disrupted.  Every case is different however and complication could occur especially if too much tension is placed on the closure.  It sounds like you have a good relationship with your plastic surgeon and this is one of the most important factors.

Dr Remus Repta

Tummy tuck revision

+1

The usual cause of skin necrosis of skin after a tummy tuck is that the skin was pulled a little too tight. It didn't get enough blood flow. The skin couldn't heal.

If your area of necrosis is small, doesn't have to be moved far to remove it, the  skin above and around it is loose and your surgeon believes the blood supply is good, it's reasonable to revise the scar.

Revision needs to be done very gently and sutured without tension. Otherwise it can happen again - for the same reason as before - too much tension, too little blood flow.

Hope all goes well.

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD