A Small Piece of Metal Discovered in my Nose 2 Years After Rhinoplasty in a Dental Xray. Is This Normal?

I had Rhinoplasty almost 2 years ago today to fix the way my nose curved outwards and wasn't in line with my face. I went to get an X-ray today as I am getting braces soon. When the dentist brought back the results of my X-ray they seen a small piece of metal inside my nose. Is this normal?? My nose seems fine, it doesn't hurt or get infected. I'm just worried it could cause problems in the future...Is it normal? And if so why is there metal inside my nose?

A metallic foreign body in your nose is not normal.

+2

You may get more information from the RealSelf experts if you re ask your question with a photo of the x-ray. Metallic foreign bodies may be recognizable by their appearance. You may also wish to show your x-ray to your rhinoplasty surgeon for clarification.

Hope this helps you.

Dr. Joseph

West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Foreign Body after Rhinoplasty

+1

Retained foreign bodies following rhinoplasty are rare. Although a foreign body may have been left in your nose unintentionally, more likely is that it is part of an anchor or implant. Either way, if it is a very small piece it is unlikely to cause a real problem.

Kevin Brenner, MD, FACS

Metal Inside Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

Assuming the metal was placed at the time of rhinoplasty, this may have been used to anchor a cartilage graft to the anterior nasal spine.  Methods vary widely across the US and throughout the world, and it can be hard to speculate about what purpose this served or serves. Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA