Small open wound in incision at the junction of the vertical scar and areola. (photo)

I am 7 weeks post op and still have a small open wound at the junction of the vertical scar and areola. My PS says that it was a stitch that was poking out but didn't want to start digging in the incision since it's so small. It is not draining. If I apply Neosporin as directed, the edges remain white on the inside and the skin surrounding it is still red. If I let it dry for a day it starts to scab over. How long should I wait before I worry about this wound not healing?

Small open wound in incision at the junction of the vertical scar and areola.

+1

Congratulations on having undergone the breast reduction procedure; this operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.The open wound problem that you are experiencing does occur occasionally after this procedure. Generally speaking, these areas go on to heal, within a few weeks (2-4) without long-term sequelae. Sometimes, if the scar is wider in this area, scar revision surgery may be helpful.

In the meantime, I would suggest that you continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon. Occasionally, there is an offending suture that may need to be removed to allow for wound healing to complete its course.

A couple weeks...

+1
You were most likely closed with a resorbable suture material that takes around 9 weeks to start dissolving. It will take a couple weeks but it should take care of itself without undue scarring or discomfort.

Robert Frank, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon