How Small Can I Get my FF Breasts Reduced To?

I am beginning the first step and I am going to see the surgeon next week. I was wondering how small can my size ff breasts be reduced

FF Breasts and reduction

+2

It is very hard to say what can be accomplished without an exam. But in general, remember that in order to maintain viability of the tissues ( skin and breast pedicle with nipple on it) you have to  leave  tissue attached to it so that it will heal.  In most very large breasted patients to maintain a nice shape this will probably require you to be at least a "C" or  a "D" minimum.

Breast Reduction and Resulting Breast Size?

+2

Congratulations on your decision to look into breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.

It is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly.    The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue;  if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola)  may be compromised.   Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible)  then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival.  

The other concern with overly aggressive breast reduction surgery is patient dissatisfaction  afterwards.  It is not unusual for patients who have lived with very large breasts to want to have as much as possible removed. Care must be taken to be judicious in this removal to avoid an outcome where the breasts  are too small in relation (proportionately) to the patient's other body parts.  Again, it is not uncommon, for patients'  breasts to become smaller ( after the breast reduction procedure) with time and/or weight loss-  breast augmentation may become necessary to achieve the patient's size goals.

Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon.  In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “natural” or “C cup” etc. means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful. 
Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

Generally, I advise patients undergoing breast reduction surgery to go small enough to alleviate symptoms related to breast hypertrophy as much as possible while retaining as much breast tissue as necessary to maintain proportionality between the upper and lower torso.

Limitations of reducing FF Breasts

+2

There are no limitations on how small breasts can be made as long as the blood supply to the nipple complex is maintained OR the nipple complex is transferred as a graft. I am not familiar with the Irish health care system and if my Irish colleagues are required to remove a minimum amount of breast tissue if the operation is paid for by your health insurance, they way we are in the US. In the US, each insurance has different criteria  for how much breast weight has to be removed, but most require removal of at least 500 grams (1.1 pounds) from each breast. 

Breast size after surgery

+2

This is a question for your consultation. You should ask your surgeon what is reasonable to expect given your current size. Without examining you it is very difficult to give you any advice. Good luck with your consultation and surgery.

Margaret Skiles, MD
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Reduce as small as you want

+1

A breast reduction can be done down to any size the patient wants.  The goal of breast reduction surgery is twofold, one - to eliminate the large breasts for aesthetic improvement and two - to eliminate the pain associated with large breasts.  There is a new technique called "The Ultimate Reduction" that does both with minimal scars.  The vertical scars are eliminated and no boat anchor scar is required.  The only incisions are the circumareola and inframammary.  The breast weight is transferred to the underlying pectoral major muscle to relieve pain.  This will allow the patient to choose whatever size she desires and still have pain relief.  Over reduction is the most frequent complication leading to unsatisifactory results.  It is best to achieve your desired size and be pain free.

Best of Luck.

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon