Procedure for Small Mouth Opening

I have a small mouth opening and I would like my lips to be wider--not thicker. I hear about Lip lifts to make upper lip look fuller but I've never heard of a surgical procedure to make lips wider. Can you please tell me if there is such a procedure and the doctors that do them. Many thanks.

Small moouth (microstomia)

+2

A true congenital condition of a small mouth is called microstomia. This is relatively rare, The most common cause of acquired microstomia is either due to cancer removal or electrical injury. In either of the two later cases an anguloplasty or oral commissuroplasty can open the outer corners of the mouth but will tend to leave visible scars.

Small mouth

+1

If you have no congenital abnormality or surgical or traumatic injury, then there is nothing you can do and look normal.

Lip lifts can cause unsightly scars and may not give you what you want.

Bigger mouth

+1

Although patients who have had traumatic injuries and birth defects with a small, tight mouth generally are happy with the results of surgical procedures, it is not something that someone would be happy with who has just a cosmetically small mouth. 

Theodore Katz, MD, FACS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon