What Is The Small Malar Implant Healing Time?

Interested in getting small malar implants for a very, very slight natural increase in prominence and projection of my cheekbones. I have read many places that say majority of swelling goes down within 5-7 days and the rest over a few weeks. What exactly does a few weeks mean? Like 2? or more than a month? Curious because I am trying to time the surgery after my semester tests and before a vacation and I dont want to look puffy.

+1

I have performed many Cheek Augmentations with Cheek Implants and I have several things that I'd like to share with you.

1. The type, size, shape and volume of the Cheek Implants should not be decided by the recovery time (more on this later) but by the aesthetic principles of facial beauty.  This has everything to do with gender and the shape of your cheeks.
  2. The recovery time of Cheek Implant Surgery is between 4-6 months.  This is pretty much a constant and you should plan to be similar in your recovery path.  
  3. For the first week, the cheeks can be swollen.  The degree, of swelling, is directly proportional to the time it takes the plastic surgeon to perform the surgery.  The quicker the lower degree of bruising and swelling.  Ice to the cheeks and limiting strenuous activity for the first month are recommended.
  4. For the first month, the cheeks will look puffy.  My Cheek Implant patients are instructed to tell people they had root canals to explain the "look".
  5. The following 4-5 months, the final shape is achieved as the healing phase is completed.

Please do not believe anyone that tells you that you will be healed in a week or two after Cheek Implant Surgery....this is simply not the case.  Hope this helps.

Malar implants

+1

Pain for a day or so.  Swelling for 10 days or so that others will notice.  You will notice it for a month or so. 

Stuart H. Bentkover, MD
Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling after malar implants

+1

It is normal to have some swelling present after placement of cheek implants.  It can sometimes take 6-12 months to see the final appearance after cheek augmentation.  Normally, the swelling is at a maximum at about 2-3 days after the procedure, and then slowly begins to resolve.  I would say that by a week, there would still be some swelling present, but your cheeks should not look abnormal or strange.  By a month after the procedure, the majority of the swelling should be gone, but there will still be improvement over more time.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

The Resolution of Swelling after Cheek Implant Surgery

+1

Swelling after cheek implant surgery usually takes longer than advertised. The size of the implant does not make the amount of swelling seen any less. To think that the majority of cheek swelling is gone by one week after surgery is not realistic. A better estimation is that 70% of the swelling is gone by 3 weeks, 90% by six weeks and 100% resolution by three months after surgery. 

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD