Will Small Malar Cheek Implants Alleviate the Fullness in my Cheeks?

I do not want the buccal fat becuase I know it causes premature aging, however I have flat cheekbones so I am considering small malar implants (for a sculpting not filling look). Has anyone had this done to give me advice?

Malar implants

+1

Malar, submalar, midface and combined malar-submalar implants come in various shapes and sizes.  I often use them for highlighting the malar eminences (ie upper cheek bones).  I generally advise against malar fat removal.  These days we try to preserve facial volume as much as possible.  You will loose volume as you age and may regret the removal that looked good 20 years before.

Boston Facial Plastic Surgeon

+1

It appears that your name is Libby, so I'll go by that assumption that you are female.  Cheek aesthetics has everything to do with gender.  Male, ideally shaped, cheeks are narrow while those for females are quite differently shaped.

Placing a narrow Cheek Implant in a female face will not aesthetically improve the face.  On the contrary, it will make the face appear more angular which is a masculine trait.  If you have fullness, in the cheeks, but the cheek bones are flat...this indicates excess subcutaneous fat that should be removed and shaped using micro-liposuction at the time the Cheek Implants are shaped.  This is not the same as buccal fat, which is within the cheek tissues at a much deeper layer and IMHO should not be removed.

Using Implants to shape the face, like fillers, requires a thorough understanding of the proper aesthetics of facial beauty for the creation of a naturally more attractive face.

Malar implants to help with fullness in cheeks

+1

I would agree with you that I would not recommend buccal fat removal.  Malar implants are used to augment the cheek bones and thus can help to make the lower cheek area appear less full.  There are different sizes and shapes of malar implants and you would be able to determine which is best for you during a consultation.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Indication for Cheek Implants

+1

Implants will enhance the definition and projection of your cheeks and improve the proportions within your cheeks and with the surrounding facial features. I need to see pictures but it sounds like cheek implants will provide the look that you want.

cheek augmentation

+1

Cheek implants come in a variety of sizes, shapes and materials. We prefer Silastic implants, and usually insert malar or sub-malar, depending upon the  patient's unique anatomy. The size is determined at the time of physical examination and consultation. The implants are inserted through intraoral approach usually under general anesthesia  in a ambulatory surgery center. The difference between a sculpted look and a filling look is  very subjective, and it is important to discuss that with your surgeon prior to undergoing the surgery.

Cheek Implants For Sculpting Effect

+1

The key to your cheek augmentation is to get the right style and size of cheek implants placed. Not all cheek implants have the same effect. A sculpting cheek look usually refers to a higher and more lateral cheek augmentation effect.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Cheek implants for flat cheeks

+1

Malar implants are made for what you want corrected. The size and shape is a matter to discuss with your surgeon. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon