2 Small Lumps Below Each Nipple, Saline Implant Valve?

Hello, I had my annual gyno appt today and my dr found 2 small lumps below each nipple, they are in the exact same spot on each breast/exactly the same size, feel etc. I have 5 years old saline implants and sense have breastfed and I 'm on the thin side. My dr doesn't have myuch expereince with implants and wants to send me for an ultrasound to be safe. I called my pastic surgeon and she said it sounds like we are feeling the valves to my implants. I am kinda freaking out, is this is common?

Implant Valves Palpable after Breast Augmentation

+1

Implant Valves can be palpable after Breast Augmentation, and your plastic surgeon could fairly readily determine if this is the case.

Breast Implant Valves Palpable?

+1

Yes, depending on the patient's body type and positioning of the breast implants, it is possible to feel the breast implant valves (saline implants).

I think you will be best off visiting with your plastic surgeon,  who after direct examination,  will be able to confirm your suspicions ( and potentially save you from unnecessary imaging).  If any doubt, best to proceed with the imaging studies.

Of course, your physicians are in the best position to advise and/or reassure you.

Many factors in evaluating breast lumps after implants

+1

You don't mention your age, but this is important as well - it sounds like they are the valves because they are in the same place on both sides, but your plastic surgeon should be able to confirm this with a quick exam.

W. Tracy Hankins, MD

Small lumps in breasts

+1

The small lumps may very well be the saline implant valve. It would be a good idea to see your plastic surgeon as well before doing the "million dollar work-up."  If not go ahead with the test to be safe.

Palpable masses

+1

It is difficult to assess what is going on without a physical exam.  What you are feeling could be your implant.  However, just to be safe, I would proceed with breast imaging to make sure they are not breast tissue masses.   Play it safe.

Dr. Basu

Houston, TX

C. Bob Basu, MD, FACS