Small Lump on Nostril After Closed Rhinoplasty

I have been left with a little lump on my left nostril (almost at the tip)after having Rhinoplasty to define my tip 18 months ago. It makes my right nostril appear wider than my left because the left one appears more rounded due to the lump. However, the lump does not feel like bone as it can be pushed back into place, but does not stay there. Any idea what this is and what revision procedure would need to be used to get rid of it? I would prefer to avoid external scars if possible.

Bossa of nasal tip

+1

It sounds as though you may have a bossa of the nasal tip, which is due to a buckling of the lower lateral cartilages of the tip and can produce the protuberance that you are describing. Those can be simply shaved down through an incision on the inside of the nose and addressed through another closed rhinoplasty touchup.

Web reference: http://www.seattlefacial.com

Rhinoplasty; 18 Months Later with Nasal Bossa

+1

Hi SM 100,

The knot on your lower left alar cartilage is called a bossa.  It occurs when the lower lateral nasal cartilage buckles on itself.  It usually requires a small revision surgery to correct.  It should be done through an internal incision.

Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

It is most likely to be cartilage.

+1

It is difficult to tell from the photo, but it is probably the tip cartilage on that side protrudes more. It is a minor procedure to shave off a little. Ask your Surgeon if this is possible.

Nose Tip Asymmetries

+1

Studying your photos, I see a couple of small issues:

1. The right alar rim is slightly higher than the left. In addition, it is somewhat caved in.

2. The middle sidewall of the nose (above the area you are concerned with) is a little caved in.

3. There is asymmetry of the nasal tip.

In noses it is all about the balance between the different structures. Therefore, I think that you should see your rhinoplasty surgeon to discuss your concerns and options. Revision rhinoplasty is a complex operation which can be done endonasally without external incisions. More important than the incision is appropriate planning which follows diagnosis of your particular issues. It may need a little more than just removal of a lump which, by the way, represents cartilage.

Worcester Facial Plastic Surgeon